PDA

View Full Version : Paint job on a Piper Warrior

FlyingGoat
16th Jul 2010, 17:33
Is £10k a bit top end for a full metal respray?

Has anyone got any contacts in, say, France? Or Spain? Or Portugal? Are European costs similar?

jxc
16th Jul 2010, 21:54
You could always try eastern europe

Human Factor
16th Jul 2010, 22:31
Had a Yak52 done for £10k in the UK two years ago. I'd imagine a PA28 would be a bit less.

Pilot DAR
16th Jul 2010, 23:16
If I were having a PA 28 strip and paint quoted in Canada, I would certainly think that 10,000 pounds was a little on the cheap side. Probably okay, but make sure that nothing is being left out of the job, (or might you be charged extra for things which you think should be in the deal).

RatherBeFlying
17th Jul 2010, 02:44
Control surfaces generally have minimum and maximum weight limits. I was looking at one aircraft that had been advertised as refinished, but there was no invoice from anybody for the job.

It must be done by a qualified aircraft refinisher.

Mark 1
17th Jul 2010, 04:23
Termikas in Lithuania seem popular with Yaks and others. I've no direct experience of them.

DBo
17th Jul 2010, 06:32
Try fly Moore in Dunkeswell. They're reasonably priced and do a very nice job - they painted my RV for me this spring.

Dave

jxk
17th Jul 2010, 09:13
To do a proper paint job most if not all control surfaces, access panels should be removed and stripped. Usually, chemicals are used for stripping metal components but 'plastics' need to be rubbed or sanded down; quite a time consuming job. The reassembly should include new rubber seals, for example the wing to body joints and door surrounds. Technically, all control surfaces should be checked for balance and and the aircraft reweighed.
If possible try to fit the painting in with your ARC because you will need a suitably qualified maintenance to sign the aircraft off on completion and whilst the aircraft is apart is a good time for them to do a through inspection of the airframe. If it's a PA28 then there is a periodic inspection of the fuel tanks for instance, that have to be pulled to change the vent pipe hoses etc.as well as examining the main spar.
I've noticed on some aircraft that by removing access panels, you will see that the aircraft has been resprayed with all of these in place. I would expect to see the back of these panels at least in new primer and not the outline of the panel showing on the newly painted aircraft.
The bare metal strip if done chemically needs very careful after treatment to: neutralise the chemical, treat with Ali-chrome (sp), careful clean-up around the rivet heads (note: no material should be lost by using emery tape etc.) and the proper 2 part etch primer applied.
Of course the paint shop needs to be maintained at the correct temperature for the specified paint and the relevant safety precautions taken.
As you can see this no minor undertaking and of course the more complex design you choose will impact on the cost.
Painting is usually a thing that most people forget when they try and work out the running cost for their aircraft; much in the way you build up a reserve for an engine fund.
Oh, owning an aircraft is fun isn't it? And you get the job you pay for!