PDA

View Full Version : Australian Pilot needs help!

student_downunder
16th Jul 2010, 17:17
G'day everyone,
I'm currently a pilot flying in Australia who would like to make the move over to Canada. I understand everything about license conversions and i can do this without requiring a visa. My problem is however not knowing which regions in Canada to look at to find a sponsor for my work visa. I would prefer Dash8 operations as i am already endorsed, however i'm not that concerned over AC type or location.

TT: 2500
Twin: 2200
Dash8 FO: 1500

broompusher
16th Jul 2010, 18:22
You will be hard pressed to find a company that will sponsor you. Most companies in Canada (that I am aware of) already require you to have the legal right to work in Canada without sponsorship. That being said, you can always try and who knows, maybe you will find something. Here is a good website to help you with your research.

Air Carrier Info for Canada - PILOT CAREER CENTRE (http://www.pilotcareercentre.com/AirCarriersByRegion2.aspx?id=1)

Best of luck.

B

What Limits
16th Jul 2010, 18:55
Even if you find a 'sponsor' , they still need to apply for a Labour Market Opinion from HRSDC (Google) in order for you to apply for a work permit.

I am led to believe that LMOs are not currently available for Air Pilots because
a. There are too few jobs
b. There are too many Canadian pilots out of work

If your 'sponsor' can prove that they can't get suitably qualified pilots than you do stand a chance. This is unlikely in the current situation.

Best of luck

Peachface
27th Jul 2010, 12:05
I'm of a similar experience and looking at doing the same thing early 2011. Have you considered applying for a two year working holiday visa? Correct me if i'm wrong, but that should make you employable without the need for a sponsor?

604guy
27th Jul 2010, 13:40
Have you considered applying for a two year working holiday visa?

I believe that working holiday visa's are only for 12 months not 24 but stand to be corrected. I would expect however, that you would be hard pressed to find an employer in the aviation sector (certainly for flight crew) that would employ someone in that category unless you had some exceptionally sought after skill set. With what is described above...that isn't the case.

Peachface
28th Jul 2010, 06:50
The Australian working holiday permit this year is 24 months. Not sure if thats a recent extension. You are also permitted unlimited extensions to this provided you continue to meet the criteria (under 30 years of age etc). I figure if you are employed by a company for, say 12 months, it shouldn't be too difficult to approach your boss for sponsorship if you wish to stay longer. Please let me know if I'm missing something.

I'm only aiming for a light twin job, I'm sure the bigger players would prefer nationals on their flight line.

604guy
28th Jul 2010, 11:14
Please let me know if I'm missing something.

OK, let me pose a question(s). If an employer had two candidates of equal or similar qualification, one was a Canadian resident and the other was a non-resident who may or may not be permitted to work in Canada beyond a certain point, which one is likely to be selected? Given that money and resources are to be spent on said successful candidate, which applicant is likely to be selected for employment? There are a number of "light twin" jobs in Canada that see folks in those positions for the long term and there are plenty of Canadian resident pilots in the country right now looking for work.

robbreid
28th Jul 2010, 14:43
Lots of Aussie's in British Columbia!!!, very Aussie friendly place!!!

Montreal has the happiest people, and Toronto - unfortunately where a lot of the jobs are, but not a happy bunch.

I think if your a go getter, like most Aussie's - I don't think you'll have no problem finding work.

Plus I'd choose a happy Aussie over an unhappy Canadian - any day!!!

Good luck on your working holiday - have fun.

Rob CYKZ (unhappy Toronto, fortunately I travel a lot!!)