PDA

View Full Version : Restriction due to WTC

WorkingHard
23rd Sep 2001, 22:35
I should very much like to know why private flying in the U.K. was grounded because of the WTC attack. If you are a memeber of AOPA UK then post an email asking what they did about it. That is what you pay your subs for. The disater had nothing to do with private pilots it seems but we were singled out for grounding. I do hope someone can think of possible reasons.

BEagle
23rd Sep 2001, 23:28
Sufficient doubt existed concerning the potential of terrorism in the UK. Even the most wet behind the ears tub-thumping human rights pinko ought to have NB'd that!!

WorkingHard
24th Sep 2001, 13:13
BEagle - You may have had your say in your own inimitable fashion but you still did not address the question. Are you so unable to respond properly that you have to resort to verbal abuse? If so it indicates your lack of awareness of flying issues affecting those that fly other than for week-end fun.

BEagle
24th Sep 2001, 21:18
Sorry - I wasn't accusing you of being a wet-behind-the-ears tub-thumping pinko - it's just that with the murder of thousands in the US at the hands of terrorists, the UK took very reasonable precautions given the uncertainty prevailing at the time. The restrictions were lifted as soon as they could be and we should be grateful for that.

What exactly is your beef? I wasn't allowed to conduct flying training for a while either and my company lost revenue as a result, but we were back up and running as soon as the very understandable restictions were lifted in accordance with re-assessment of the security situation.

Kermit 180
25th Sep 2001, 04:55
From an overseas perspective I dont think it was unreasonable for UK GA traffic to be grounded during the crisis. After all, a blip on radar is a blip on radar, regardless of whether its a C150 or a 747 (assuming transponders and any other identifying computers off of course). Better to be safe than sorry, noone knew what the heck was going on for a few days after the horrid events of a fortnight ago.

Kermie :rolleyes:

WorkingHard
25th Sep 2001, 22:11
BEagle and others - many thanks for the replies (and the apology-very sincerely received). I do not really have a "beef". It would have surprised me if flying restrictions had not been imposed - I fully supported them BUT and I ask again can anyone shed any light on why only GA was grounded. Surely it would have been much more prudent to ground ALL aircraft except the Police and Military (but also to include grounding of military basic training)

QNH 1013
26th Sep 2001, 23:43
WH, the Home Secs comments shed light on why the restrictions applied to GA only (actually to all a/c not operated under an AOC if I remember). I'm not getting into a debate about the rights and wrongs of the action, and it was only for a short time, but it didn't ban GA. Reference to the Notams showed that flights could be made, but had to be registered and have permission first. There were (from memory) three telephone numbers given in the Notam to request this permission, so it looks to me as if they had allocated considerable resources to dealing with these requests. I didn't need to telephone because the restrictions were quickly lifted. My guess (only a guess) is that if your aircraft was based somewhere like Birmingham Int which has tight security, it would have been very easy to get this permission. Similarly, I expect IFR flights would be have been easier than VFR.
Thank goodness it was only for a short time.

Alf Aworna
27th Sep 2001, 04:48
WH - Why did you want military basic training grounded?

BEagle
27th Sep 2001, 09:54
Don't forget that the 'background checks' on military students are far more comprehensive than those currently applied to flying club members. Believe me!! Although the cause of a fatal Hunter crash near Shawbury in 1974/5 was, according to those under training at the time, never fully explained. A student on a review trip with a senior QFI was flying a manual GCA into Shawbury when the aircraft was seen to plummet below the glidepath. The 'enquiry' concluded that the QFI had 'failed to take recovery action in time'. But others in the know had heard the student say that he could never face the humiliation and shame of being 'chopped' if he failed the trip. The student was from an Arab air force; many thought that the accident report was a political economy of truth and that the accident was caused by suicide alone.

[ 27 September 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]