PDA

View Full Version : Ground Exams and time

Ian_Wannabe
23rd Sep 2001, 20:55
Hey everyone,

Right, I'm going to the USA (west coast) next July 'ish to get my PPL with a night rating.

I've been advised to get the ground exams out of the way before I go over to the USA so I can concentrate on flying while I'm there.

The problem with that is time, I'll be doing my PPL in the 6 weeks I have off from college. I realise that the course in the USA is only 3-4 weeks but doing ground exams here and then going to the USA I assume will take up more than 3-4 weeks.

So obviously doing my ground exams here, then going to the USA to do the flying in the little space of 6 weeks will be a tough ride, especially when the 6 weeks is supposed to be my break from A-Levels!

If all that made sense to you you're doing well so far! :)

To spread out the time a little I've had a think about doing a PPL exam in the holidays I have leading upto July.

E.g. I get 2 weeks off in late November, so in that holiday I'll do the 1st ground exam. I get 1 week off in December, so in that holiday I'll do the 2nd ground exam etc.

I'd just like to know if you experienced pilots out there think this is a good idea... or if it won't work because each subject takes longer that the 1-2 weeks.

Thanks for your time.. I hope it made sense :)

Ian

[ 23 September 2001: Message edited by: Ian_Wannabe ]

DB6
23rd Sep 2001, 22:38
You can study for the ground exams in your spare time - they're not too difficult. My tip to you is to buy the JAR PPL Confuser, which is a collection of sample questions for the PPL exams, and work through that as you study - that way you'll know what to concentrate on and what is bull****. You can take the exams at most local flying clubs; if you're not a member there will probably be a nominal charge. The only thing you should bear in mind is that you have to complete all the flying within I think 24 months of passing the first ground exam, but that shouldn't be a problem in your situation. One more tip - don't expect to get a PPL in the USA and then just come back to the UK and hire a plane straight off. Things are very different in the UK and you will probably need a few hours extra tuition when you get back. Good luck.

PPRuNe Dispatcher
23rd Sep 2001, 23:01
The PPL exams aren't difficult but do require a bit of effort. So far I've found that 8 hours concentrated study over two or three days using either Thom or Pratt plus an hour or three with the confuser is more than enough for each exam.

In two weeks you should be able to do at least three exams if you put your mind to it.

---Mik

[ 23 September 2001: Message edited by: PPRuNe Dispatcher ]

Ian_Wannabe
23rd Sep 2001, 23:24
Cheers for the advice guys..... great help to me!

I didn't add in the post.... "by doing the exams sooner than July next year, it feels like i'm doing my PPL straight away! I can't wait! Gotta do it nooooow!" ;)

Cheers