PDA

View Full Version : Where to do an SEP(Sea) rating?

hugh flung_dung
15th Jul 2010, 18:30
I fancy doing a floatplane rating some time soon. A small amount of digging-around came up with Lake Como (Italy), Loch Earn (Scotland), Loch Erne (Ireland). Can anyone give any feedback on these, or suggest others?
(I've heard good things about Jack Brown's in Florida but the TSA nonsense puts me off bothering with the US)

HFD

mcgoo
15th Jul 2010, 18:37
You wont need TSA approval to go to Jack Browns, TSA approval is only needed for the initial PPL, IR, Multi and type ratings.

Trevor Farmer
15th Jul 2010, 19:49
I got mine in Brown's Florida and IMHO it's just a production line. I've flown in Como and it's better. Steve,however, runs a super show in Enniskillen with his amphibious Maule.

Duchess_Driver
15th Jul 2010, 20:45
Give Alan Newton a call at Ontrack

OnTrack Aviation (http://www.ontrackaviation.com)

kui2324
15th Jul 2010, 21:01
Hamish Scotia Seaplanes - Scotland on Floats (http://www.scotlandonfloats.com)

G-DRAM with her brand new engine!

Big Pistons Forever
15th Jul 2010, 23:34
I would consider Canadian operators as well. Same cost as USA but without all the visa/immigigration hassles. I can recommend Dave Budd at Ocean Air in Victoria British Columbia. A good operation in an incredably scenic area.

Solar
16th Jul 2010, 06:14
Concur with T F, Steve in Enniskillen is excellent.

Pilot DAR
16th Jul 2010, 10:46
I can highly recommend Lake Country Airways, in Orillia, Ontario, Canada (about 1.5 hour drive north of Toronto). Personal service, lots of room to fly, very little traffic, and no air traffic control. Within the bounds of what the instructor permits you to do, and wter conditions permitting, you can land into most any lake around.

Heliplane
16th Jul 2010, 11:47
I just went to this place near Vancouver (Fort Langley Air Float Plane Training Canada Rating Charters Sightseeing Seaplane Endorsement Vancouver BC (http://www.fortlangleyair.com/)) and had a fantastic time. Would highly recommend it.

The Canadian rating will not transfer directly onto your FAA or JAA license (but how much will you use it in practice anyway?) but it does include 5 solo take-offs and landings which were exciting and satisfying.

hugh flung_dung
16th Jul 2010, 12:17
Thanks for all the replies and PMs.
One of the strong recommendations has been for Alaska Float Ratings so I need to understand the TSA implications.
From the AOPA TSA guidance AOPA Online: Aliens and Non-U.S. Citizens Seeking Flight Training (http://www.aopa.org/tsa_rule/alienft.html) it seems that any training for thiings defined in CFR 61.31 (which includes seaplane ratings) is exempt from the the TSA requirements BUT I believe that my old-style FAA certificate (based on my UK CPL) will have become invalid because of the US changes so I don't have a valid FAA pilot certificate. I think this means that I would need to get an FAA C/PPL issued (stand-alone or based on UK licence) and that this would involve TSA - is that all correct?

Unless I can find a JAR instructor operating in Canada I would need to get a Canadian C/PPL issued - where can I find authoritative info on the situation in Canada?

Edited to add - I found the Canadian info here Part IV - Standard 421 - Flight Crew Permits, Licences and Ratings - Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) - Regulations - Aviation Safety - Air Transportation - Transport Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/regserv/affairs/cars/part4/standards/421.htm#421_26) but can't see whether a FLVC can have a rating added (although even if it could I doubt that the CAA would accept it as a valid foreign licence for the purpose of transferring the rating to my UK licence)

HFD

Heliplane
16th Jul 2010, 15:27
You can get a Canadian Limited Term Pilot's License (valid for 90 days) on the basis of your current JAR license and medical and the seaplane endorsement can be added to that. This took me about 30 minutes at the Transport Canada office in downtown Vancouver and cost something like C$45.

The Canadian seaplane endorsement cannot be transferred onto your JAR license without a checkride (I believe you'd actually have to do the full course under JAR and a checkride).

Although this limitation is slightly frustrating, you've got to ask yourself whether you need it on your JAR license. Unless you own a seaplane, it seems pretty difficult to take one solo around these parts.

I live in London and accept that if I wanted to fly a seaplane nearby, I would most likely have to go up to Scotland or Northern Ireland and simply fly with an instructor (which would be advisable because the basic seaplane training really only covers the basics and there are a number of danger areas, such as glassy water landings, that additional training with an instructor would make safer).

S-Works
16th Jul 2010, 16:21
As I understand it you cant add any ratings to a limited term licence which are valid for 12 months not 90 days AFAIK.

If you hold an FAA licence (full NOT 16.75) it is very easy to convert to a Canadian when as they have a conversion path which is basically a medical and 20 questions on the difference in airspace and procedures. To convert an ICAO licence requires the written exam and a flight test. There are allowances based on experience on the TC site.

To get the rating onto your JAA licence from an ICAO licence then you need to do either the private or professional seamanship exams and as long as you have the 5hrs and correct number of TO/Ldg then you can have it added to the JAA licence as test exempt.

I did the private seamanship with Alan Newton at the excellent On-track and then went to Gatwick and did the professional exam which was virtually identical a month or so later.

All very simple.

Captain Smithy
16th Jul 2010, 16:31
A couple of friends went to Neil's Seaplanes up at Lochearnhead a while back, apparently it was a good experience.

Neil's Seaplanes (http://www.neils-seaplanes.com/)

Looks good fun...

Smithy

skyjockey0
13th Aug 2010, 22:31
Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000105 EndHTML:0000003378 StartFragment:0000002303 EndFragment:0000003342

I did the sea rating in Canada – Brampton Flying Club near Toronto. Had no problems getting the rating added to my JAR CPL on return using a limited term Transport Canada licence. Just make sure it doesn’t expire before sending in your application to the CAA.

Also had to do the UK seamanship written, but no further flight training or tests. I can highly recommend Cambrian-Aero in Wales who do a really great one day course, and were really helpful sorting out my application - you also get a free DVD/Video!.

I found the CPL/ATPL exam quite a bit different and trickier than the PPL version, and definitely needed help in order to pass this.