PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts Anyone: Best US locations to do accelerated PPL (FAA) training

JakeNYC
15th Jul 2010, 13:22
Title: Thoughts Anyone: Best US locations to do accelerated PPL (FAA) training

I’m in the process of narrowing down my search for a flight school in the US. I’m interested in an accelerated programme for PPL (FAA) and potentially IR. Before I even think about narrowing it down to a particular school, I was trying to choose a location that a) would have optimal weather for daily flight in Dec/Jan, b) be visually and potentially geographically interesting (water, mountains, etc.) and c) be a place that my wife :ok:would consider visiting during my training (this is the reason Hawaii is on my list).

I live in the UK now but I’m moving back to the US at the end of the year and will have the opportunity to take time off before I start work again in the US. This is the perfect opportunity to finally get my licenses which I’ve been coveting for at least 10 years.

So, I’ve narrowed it down to the following locations, however I’m certainly open to suggestions and any insights or wisdom you could provide.

Florida: Lots of sun and a good number of reputable schools I believe.
Arizona (Phoenix/Tuscon): With 200+ sunny days per year seems like a good option.
Nevada: (Las Vegas area): Again 200+ sunny days per year however it does come with a long list of potential distractions to my training.
Hawaii: Only about 100+ sunny days but it seems like an incredible place to learn to fly and the wife would love to visit. Again, any insights you could provide would be tremendously appreciated and I would welcome recommendations for any particular schools.

Thanks in advance!

Katamarino
15th Jul 2010, 13:48
I have found Florida to be good; not the most exciting terrain, but good weather. Arizona is great flying; but I don't know any schools there myself.

I could recommend schools in Florida (Cirrus Aviation, Sarasota), and also in California (Channel Islands Aviation, Camarillo), that I have experience of; both were very good. I rented from the latter, and did my CPL/IR at the former.

Check 6
15th Jul 2010, 17:11
The former Ari Ben Aviator in Florida:

Flight Training - Flight School - Flight Training Programs - Aviator Flight Training College (http://www.aviator.edu/home.aspx)

JakeNYC
19th Jul 2010, 10:46
Many thanks for all the suggestions everyone. By the way, I had my fist lesson here in London over the weekend. I know I don't have any references but the West London Aero Club (Waltham Airfield) was fantastic.

A and C
14th Nov 2010, 16:18
Try to locate a good training provider away from the "nice" places. Florida and the like are expensive.

I did some of my training just west of Detroit in Ann Arbour, the price was very attractive and the summer weather is great but forget trying flying that far north in the winter.

jackx123
14th Nov 2010, 20:29
I did my PPL(H) in 12 days (Florida - FXE, which was great). However, I already had my written exams done since I then had CPL-MEI. I could have completed it in 10 days since I lost two days on arrival due to some screw up with scheduling. I admit it was hard work, flying twice a day and in between preparing for the oral exam.

My suggestion is to get all formalities done including medical and written whilst still in the UK. That way you save lots of money and time.

Written can be done at Farnborough - Flight Safety +44-1-252- 554-599.

Having completed this you prepare yourself by getting the practical test standard.

If you want to go to an extended holiday it also gives you more time to to "relax".:ok:

Ps. Make sure you don't need a training visa, as I know of one case where the US gov deported the poor fellow due to lack of said.

Pps. Most afternoons can be written off in Florida, due to thunderstorms.

B2N2
14th Nov 2010, 21:37
Pps. Most afternoons can be written off in Florida, due to thunderstorms.

Not in Dec/Jan Jackx.
During the winter months SW Florida is usually clear and a million.
Have a look at training in Naples Florida. Great place for non flying spouses also.
Check out:
Naples Florida (http://www.naples-florida.com/)