PDA

View Full Version : Thom volume 4 (Technical)

Graham Borland
15th Jul 2010, 09:32
This book seems to cover the material for two PPL exams: the Aircraft General/Principles Of Flight one, and Performance & Planning. Which sections of the book are tested in which exam? Is there a bit of overlap?

The first three sections look like the General/Principles material, and Section 4 looks like the P&P exam material. Just want to make sure I study the right things for each exam.

vw_nutter
15th Jul 2010, 09:53
Hi

I'm just about to do my aircraft general exam but using the Jeremy Pratt book, not that it makes much difference as I've used a combination of both Thom and Pratt with my other exams. You only need to learn the "aircraft general and principles of flight" section of the book. There is another exam covering "flight performance and planning" so no need to learn that yet until the time comes (probably after this one). There is a slight overlap between aircraft general and meteorology so hopefully you've passed met already? You might get a bit stumped on some of the questions if you haven't. The confuser is a total god send so get a copy if you haven't already (however still out of print I think but some on ebay!).

Good luck with your exam!

Gertrude the Wombat
15th Jul 2010, 10:24
An alternative approach is to learn everything you can get your hands on about safe operation of aircraft, and not worry too much about which bits are actually in the exam.

You're not learning this stuff to pass an exam, you're learning this stuff to stay alive.

SunnyDayInWiltshire
15th Jul 2010, 12:54
I've studied for both exams and passed both exclusively by using this book and the Oxford PPL test question CD. The first 3 sections are for the longer General Principles exam; the last section of the book covers Performance and Planning.

This is by no means obvious (so you aren't asking a daft question). I had read and studied the whole book for the first exam without realising I'd done the material for the second one. A quick bit of revision and passed that too.

Although there's no defined order to do the exams in (apart from Air Law being mandatory before going solo), you might want to consider doing Navigation before P&P which is an essential addendum to any nav preparation.

I've only used the Trevor Thom books myself and found them extremely well written and easy to study.

Good luck.:)

Graham Borland
15th Jul 2010, 13:06
SunnyDayInWiltshire, that's exactly what I needed to know, thanks.

Yes, I do intend to study and learn all the material in due course, I'm not just trying to pass exams. It would be silly of me, when an exam is imminent, to spend time learning material which is not relevant to this exam. The Thom book does not make it particularly clear.

Mad Girl
15th Jul 2010, 13:24
(apart from Air Law being mandatory before going solo)

Oh no it's not - only the medical is mandatory.

A lot of flying schools want you to have taken it before solo... but it's not a legal requirement.

glorygal
20th Jul 2010, 12:01
Yeah I didn't pass air law before my first solo as I had been ill with swine flu so my brain wasn't functioning :( You are right, schools prefer it, but it's not compulsory. My school was very understanding and let me fly solo anyway and catch up the air law exam a couple of weeks later.