PDA

View Full Version : Luton Minor - new website

poetpilot
15th Sep 2001, 17:27
An earlier thread connected with open cockpit flying elicited the question "what is a Luton Minor?" (or words to that effect).

Spurred by this, I realised that there was little if any information on the www about this type (first designed 1936 & one of the first homebuilt a/c in the UK post WWII), so I've rectified that by setting up the site www.lutonminor.co.uk (http://www.lutonminor.co.uk)

I'm no expert on it by the way, having only just started flying the type, but I'm gathering together what info & photos I can find - the website is still under construction so may well have typos, non-centred photos etc, but hopefully will take shape over the not too distant future.

Anyone with contributions to it please contact me and I'll do my best (on a part time basis) to build it up. All contributions will get acknowledgement & links on the site.

Thank you. :)

SOHCAHTOA
15th Sep 2001, 18:40
Will try and get my rear in gear and upload a piccie of our groups Luton.

poetpilot
15th Sep 2001, 20:02
Thanks for that SOHCA.....oh god forgot it..

By the way I tried to email you a bit back, dont know if you received it?

Been busy this pm (seeing as how its dogging & catting up here in Mcr) scanning an old Popular Flying article from 1977 on Minor flight tests (with a 34hp JAP engine). Interesting reading - I need to get the PFA permission then hopefully can post it up on the site.

Would be useful if you could supply with the piccie a few details like engine, performance, special features (eg autopilot, moving map ;) etc), blablabla.

Do you know if there is a Luton Minor club/association/clique anywhere? Havent found mention of one yet......

wysiwyg
16th Sep 2001, 10:02
By the way, SOHCAHTOA has got photocopies of the original LA4 pilots manual and drawings for an extra fuel tank located in the starboard wing root.

Regards
wizzy
(former owner of G-BBEA and G-BDJG)

SkyCruiser
16th Sep 2001, 18:14
oh, it brings back happy times for me. I spent over a year hours building on G-EA and G-JG. A great aircraft, some of my happiest flying was in the Luton.

SC................................

poetpilot
16th Sep 2001, 20:04
re: the manuals, etc.... excellent if we could get some of that material up there.

I flew 'SK this a.m. from Barton - it had been off line for a few weeks due to worn rings on one cylinder, but all Ok now. What a joy! Chugging around in my Biggles suit (minus coathanger of course). Took my mind off this troubled week a little, but I said a prayer for NY at 1500 feet.

SOHCAHTOA
17th Sep 2001, 03:01
Poet, drop me an email with your address and I will send some copies of the manuals for you.

Dont know of any clubs or cliques.

Hope yeah well mate

poetpilot
17th Sep 2001, 12:48
Thanks SOHCAHTOA, I'm fine, hope u r too! I've emailed you at your PPRuNe profile email.

I'm happy for anyone to post me stuff on the Luton type - the website advertises the address for this ([email protected]). I don't want to step on the wrong side of copyrights & ownership though, so it would be good to know the source/owner of material.

I've also noticed a link to the Aussie homebuilders site, which doesnt work (at the Luton Minor level), but certainly mentions the Luton. I wonder how many Godzone versions are flitting about? (All inverted photos also welcomed....) Or anywhere else in the world for that matter?