PDA

View Full Version : How to get NOTAMS for RAF Cosford?

Aussie Andy
14th Sep 2001, 16:40
Planning Cosford as my alternate for a VFR flight to Wolverhampton on Sunday afternoon. I've looked at NOTAMs for departure and arrival ADs, so decided to check the ALT as well... but you apparently can't lookup Cosford on http://www.ais.org.uk

I believe that they accept VFR flights on weekdays (PPR) but normally not on weekends - but I still felt it would be a good choice for alternate, in case some terrible fate besets "Wolverhampton International" before I get there!

Is there a different place to look for RAF NOTAMs then?

Andy

FlyingForFun
14th Sep 2001, 19:14
Andy,

Don't think you'd find this information in NOTAMs anyway - airfield NOTAMs usually just give details of changes which haven't made the AIP yet, or temporary changes.

Have you looked in the AIP - Aerodrome section?

Publications like Pooleys usually contain a cut-down version of the AIP, including what kind of flights are/aren't permitted

If you can't find the information anywhere else, call and ask them!

In an emergency, land first and worry about the consequences later! Declare a Mayday if necessary. Although, of course you should make sure you've got enough fuel to get you to an airfield where you are permitted to land, with reserves

I believe (and someone who uses them regularly may be able to confirm this) that landing fees at military airfields are usually exceptionally high for civilian aircraft not based there, even in the case of a diversion. Therefore, you might like to choose a different alternate anyway?

Enjoy your flight!

FFF
---------

Aussie Andy
15th Sep 2001, 00:59
Hi,

Its in the Bottlang, no worries there - I just make a habit of also looking up the airfield NOTAMs for any changes or WIP etc.

Andy

[ 14 September 2001: Message edited by: Aussie Andy ]

skua
15th Sep 2001, 15:05
Hi Aussie A

I was there (mid-week) about 2 months ago. There are very helpful. Landing fee and oevrnight parking was about £34. Security getting in and out was tough, and will be even tougher no - I expect all RAF stations are near maximum alert status. All you need is in Pooley's. Beware the railway embankment.

Regards
Skua