PDA

View Full Version : Touchscreen GPS WInCE

screetch
14th Jul 2010, 12:08
Hello
I am looking for a touchscreen gps which has a bright sunlight readable display.
I am planning to run a aviation nav software on it, but I need to be able to see the screen. Preferable 5 inch or bigger.

Any recommendations?

stickandrudderman
15th Jul 2010, 07:11
I'm looking for the same.
I like the look of the Flymap LD but I'm struggling to find anyone (well, I did find one person) who had any first hand independent knowledge.

Advanced Flight Systems seem to have the brightest screen of all but no European map data is available!!

IO540
15th Jul 2010, 07:30
There are no cheap tablet devices which are truly sunlight readable.

A sunlight readable LCD needs an extra layer on the front, and for curious marketing reasons these come only on ~ £2000 products, despite costing only about £200 extra on those products.

Here (http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m74/peterh337/ls800-v-x70ex/) are some comparison shots I took the other day, on a flight, of my old Motion LS800 tablet (cost £1800 in 2005) with a sunlight readable screen, next to a new Viliv X70EX (cost £600 now) which is shown with an without a stick-on matt screen protector.

Judging from pics I have seen, the X70EX has similar sunlight readability to the Ipad, again with and without the stick-on matt layer.

You can see the normal LCD is OK in a shaded situation but virtually useless in direct sunlight. It boils down to whether you are able to re-orient the thing.

This (http://www.sumotech.com/english/hardware/st312_overview.php) is an example of a current sunlight readable tablet product (£2000). I have seen this for real and it is stunning. At the price, it ought to be :)

E-book readers such as the Kindle DX are perfectly sunlight readable but nobody has yet found a way to run a GPS moving map on them. They make fine document readers for approach plates, manuals, etc.

jxc
15th Jul 2010, 08:10
I use a HTC advantage very very sunlight readable O2 did one in there name for a while. I use mine to run memory map, A friend uses it with sky demon
Dublin pilot will be along soon soon to push Pocket FMS as well

XDA Flint (HTC Advantage) on eBay (end time 20-Jul-10 14:42:08 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XDA-Flint-HTC-Advantage-/250665892933?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhones&hash=item3a5cd9fc45#ht_1070wt_1137)

dublinpilot
15th Jul 2010, 08:53
The Navigon 8410 (Or 8310 if you can still find it) are about the best in a 5" device that you can get at present in terms of speed and sunlight readable screen.

They aren't cheap though by modern GPS standards though. Expect to pay in the region of €350 for one.

dp

screetch
15th Jul 2010, 11:20
haha he has not mentioned fms pocket sofar :)

I know there are many good but expensive products available. I am hoping to find one which is like a PNA but I can also abuse for other purposed. A tablet is just too big and not as flexible. Image a big table in the front screen of your car ;)

Shame that most car navs dont have a real sunlight reable screen. I asked a seller of the Binatone G500 and they confirmed it does was out the colours in the sun.

jxc
15th Jul 2010, 11:37
Well I use the HTC advantage in the air with memory map and in the past pocket fms but also use it as my sat nav in the car with co-pilot software also use it on the internet if I am staying in hotels etc

If ever you are near Earls colne EGSR Let me know and I will meet u there and you can see what they are like

dublinpilot
15th Jul 2010, 12:00
haha he has not mentioned fms pocket sofar

Wasn't relevant to the question asked ;)

You might be able to find some Mio 320's or HP 314's on ebay. They are getting old now, but their screens were very good in sunlight.

Are you planning on using it in an enclosed cockpit (eg. Cessna/Piper/TB type aircraft) or something with a bubble cockpit?

If the former, then it's not likely to be in direct sunlight, but none the less needs a good bright screen, as it's fighting with bright ambient light, and probably your sunglasses too ;)

dp

screetch
15th Jul 2010, 12:49
well it will be en enclosed cockpit for..actaully my licence is getting delivered via post TODAY :p:p:p

I have a PNA with a sunscreen..but it is not as bright as my mobilephone..and I am not sure if my PNA is darker than normal or if most PNA are same..thus I started this thread. I am hoping to stick it on the control colum so I have it directly in front of me.

Second demand it has to be 4.8" or more so I can actually see something. A small flimsy phone doesnt do as I get distracted longer from flying by trying to adjust my eyes to the small screens.

Justiciar
15th Jul 2010, 12:53
I know there are many good but expensive products available. I am hoping to find one which is like a PNA but I can also abuse for other purposed. A tablet is just too big and not as flexible. Image a big table in the front screen of your car

By the time you've bought the hardware, bought the software and then hacked and fiddled to get the software to run on the hardware aren't you better just biting the bullet, paying a little bit more and getting a dedicated aviation product? A good GPS + the software will get close to the price of a dedicated unit and you may not get the support you need from the manufacturers. A 5" + screen seems to otherwise limit you choice.

screetch
15th Jul 2010, 13:16
i uploaded 3 pictures of my current sat nav . the pictures are taking outside. and one inside. you can see the darkness compared to a white paper or the washout outside.
Are all satnavs the same? The Binatone does say super bright... what it does not define if their "super bright" is lighter than what i already got..

Pictures (http://cid-117cdcd03f3a49b6.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?page=play&resid=117CDCD03F3A49B6%21125&Bpub=SDX.Photos&Bsrc=GetSharingLink)

chrisN
15th Jul 2010, 14:36
Why not the "Aware", and get airspace infringement warnings too?

Need to run it from an external power source, though - short internal battery duration goes with bright screen.

Chris N.

(Not tried it myself, but seems liked by those who have it.)

dublinpilot
15th Jul 2010, 15:28
Screetch,

The screen in the screen shows is probably around the lower end of the middle of the road PND screens. Typical of the unbranded gps's that you can buy off ebay.

As for the Aware unit, it is indeed very popular, but I'm not sure why you'd bother to get it in your case. I'm not sure with system you plan to use, but the only one that would offer you less than the Aware unit is Memory Map (which is significantly cheaper). All the others will offer you significantly more.

The screen on the Aware unit is no better than the one you've shown in the photos, though to be fair, it's easier to read because the map background is white, which helps.

dp