PDA

View Full Version : UK JAR-FCL PPL Exam Studies Software - Recommendations

amostcivilpilot
14th Jul 2010, 09:06
Hello

I am looking for some decent JAR-FCL PPL (A) studies software for my son to look at as he is starting to show some interest in learning to fly (and it will help me to try and remember some of the basics again :O )

OATS CD's are top of the list if a bit expensive and appear not to be available as a download.

Is anyone familiar with this software PPL Exam Pro - The Webs Best PPL Exam Software (http://pplexampro.com/)

And if you are aware of a similar package which you would recommend please feel free to do so.

Thanks in advance

AMCP

Slopey
14th Jul 2010, 10:49
Those are just exam questions though aren't they? The OAT cd are interactive training which walks you through the subject.

You could always just buy him the books (Pratt or Thom) and get him to start reading ;)

amostcivilpilot
14th Jul 2010, 11:37
Slopey

You could always just buy him the books (Pratt or Thom) and get him to start reading http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

Teenager and reading manuals = percieved :8

Maybe in your/our/my day...... Now I do sound like my father :{

I have a selection of the Thom, Oxford, Aopa, etc books both old and recent, but as with most children of his age they want information they can interact with and carry on a laptop or ipod, so I thought I would purchase CD ROM's and I will probably go down the Oxford route. They may also be of use to me as I am considering renewing my instructors rating.

To be fair to him he is an avid reader but has only recently expressed an interest in the subject so I want to encourage him. My father did for me at 13 and here I am 32 years later trying to do the same :)

Thanks for your input though.

AMCP

CraigJL
14th Jul 2010, 15:29
Consider Ebay for the OAT CDs - I recall someone recently on the forum also offering to sell them at what will be cheaper than the £200ish that Oxford request.

I use the OAT CDs, and I think they compliment the manuals, but don't entirely replace them. That's just my opinion, and I have only attempted 1 exam so far...

amostcivilpilot
15th Jul 2010, 07:00
Thanks Craig

I will take a look at ebay.

How do you find the presentation of the subjects on the DVD when using with the books?

AMCP

rjakw
15th Jul 2010, 07:24
Some years ago, I found AirQuiz - Online Practice Examinations for Pilots! (http://www.airquiz.com/) to be very helpful and cheap.

amostcivilpilot
15th Jul 2010, 09:31
Hello rjakw

I took out a subscription with them to see how much I have forgotten :sad: Failed most of the practice exams miserably :rolleyes: so I now have my head in the books as well :O

What I am looking for is the Oxford style of interactive JAR compliant DVD's. Oxford is top of the list (I wish these had been available when I was doing my initial CPL exams using their manuals) and the Sportys and King style is FAA based and I cannot stand the Kings!

There is a set on ebay for around 137 sterling, but at that price I would rather buy the originals.

AMCP

vw_nutter
15th Jul 2010, 10:11
Got my met OAT CD on ebay :)

Oxford Aviation Academy ? Meteorology (genuine! CD) on eBay (end time 16-Jul-10 19:41:41 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200492315378&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT)

CraigJL
15th Jul 2010, 10:20
How do you find the presentation of the subjects on the DVD when using with the books?The text that appears underneath the visual aids are brief summaries, and you really have to listen and use the pause and rewind buttons if you are to note down the full explaination the narrator makes. I believe it's actually their "in house" software, which they use to teach students with a projector, so their lessons will have a real instructor to help out at any point. However, for fundamental understanding, it's a very effective way to present it, and once you have the basics, the more complex text in the books starts to make sense (at least for me anyway - your son may learn in a totally different way).

I usually write down "manual" notes, not typed, as I go through the DVD. I don't often refer to these notes, but I think it's good to instantly reinforce what you are hearing by writing it down.

amostcivilpilot
16th Jul 2010, 12:18
Hello Craig

Thanks for the response. I am about to place an order for them today.

Good luck with the exams :ok:

Once they are out of the way the fun can really begin, and then comes the ATPL, IR, Multi, MCC......................................................

And I would do it all over again :)

AMCP