PDA

View Full Version : Upholsterers - what?

Fuji Abound
10th Sep 2001, 23:13
Strange one I know - got a couple of seats wanting recovering. Usual thing, leather, top quality job, willing to pay next to nothing, but doesn't matter how long it takes as they are a spare set. Any recommendations? Don't think they have to be approved as it doesn't need to be on the premises.

Toppers
11th Sep 2001, 01:45
Just had a full re-upholster in mine (leather seats included) and I would be more than happy to give you the details of the chap who did it.

Mail me above and i'll pass details on. ;)

old-timer
15th Sep 2001, 06:18
try Benson-Lund at southend airport also,
not sure of the cost, but they do a good job,

john_tullamarine
15th Sep 2001, 13:57
Do keep in mind the flammability test requirements, which vary according to the class of aircraft.

Most commercially available fabrics perform dreadfully under test unless they are treated during manufacture (which works pretty well) or post manufacture (highly variable results, especially in regard to in-service laundering deterioration).

Leathers are a bit of a mixed bag, mainly due to the burn variability of the dyes and such. Usually they will pass the FAR 23 type horizontal burn tests, often pass the FAR 25 vertical burn test, and very often cause the dickens of a problem passing the FAR 25 flame thrower test.

Point of the discussion is this - if you use the local motor trimmer, check the source of, and test standards for, his materials. After all, you can just pull over to the side of the road if the upholstery in your motorcar catches fire ....

As to the approval requirements for upholstery, you should check with your local regulatory authority's requirements. In most States, if not all, you will most definitely require formal approval of, and certification for, the maintenance work.

[ 15 September 2001: Message edited by: john_tullamarine ]

A and C
16th Sep 2001, 19:52
The upholsters at elstree are doing a mates aircraft at the moment and it looks like a first class job.