PDA

View Full Version : What makes a hero?

jayemm
10th Sep 2001, 14:27
The cause of events leading to an incident is one thing, but any pilot who can glide several hundred tonnes of Aluminium onto an Island runway with no power, keeping plane and most importantly, 300 lives intact, is a hero in my book. Read the article from the New York Times:

Pilot who saved 304 lives tainted (http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/10/international/americas/10PLAN.html?ex=1001114953&ei=1&en=e9d0354507e7dc73)

[ 10 September 2001: Message edited by: jayemm ]

poetpilot
10th Sep 2001, 19:28
I've not read the article, and my comments are in no way personally directed at that chap, they are just my humble observation on the rhetorical question.....

What makes a hero is the media. What makes a hero is the way he or she (if a heroine) is written or talked about or perceived by others.

Just a question of perception+publicity, that's all.

One person's hero can be another person's villain - and you may change your mind if you receive supplementary information at a later point. And it doesnt make a jot of difference unless you're the person handing out the medals.....

Certainly the case with many war heros. And I'm not getting at any patriots or anyone at all, but if a famous UK WWII hero happened to shoot your grandad down in an air battle you might not think he was a hero (in fact you'd probably believe your grandad was).

I think the vast majority of professionals in this world get a bigger kick out of doing their job properly rather than striving to be a hero.

I'd like to bet our jet glider pilot fits into that category regardless of his past. In all probability, if (and only if) he HAD done something wrong, he'll be kicking himself up the backside for some time to come, despite the fact that he, his crew and ATC saved all on board.

Ok I'm bound to have slipped up somewhere in that philosophical swamp, come and get me lads (& lasses).......

tiger burn
10th Sep 2001, 19:35
J- its a political bonfire!There are numerous issues re this incident & I suspect the minutaie are being scrutinised in the Air Transat threads in Rumours & News.

Skylark4
11th Sep 2001, 02:59
The Transat pilot is not a Hero but he`s a bloody good, and lucky, pilot. He was doing his job and saving his own life.
A Hero is someone who puts his own life at risk to save others when he is not obliged, or forced, so to do.
The classic case is, of course:- `Pilot dies avoiding school in doomed aircraft`.
Don`t forget, if a crash landing is unavoidable, find a school to crash near.

Mike W.