PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance abroad? How does this work?

AdamFrisch
13th Jul 2010, 19:24
For all the N-reg aircrafts based in the UK, they must have their US annual and service somehow performed in the UK. Does this mean that the service person has to have FAA A&P certification?

Now flip this - let's say you have a G-reg aircraft in the US over the period of its annual. Can the annual be done in the US by an FAA A&P or do you have to have one with EASA certification? And if so, are there such that can sign off a FAA done job?

crazyplane123
13th Jul 2010, 19:57
Adam,
If i stand correctly, the REPAIR STATION or facility where the inspection is going to take place has to have been previously approved and certified by the FAA and the company who owns the a/c , meaning it has the appropiate documents and manuals, personnel properly trained, adheres to the company inpection program(G.M.M) and special tools to perform the inspection. the same applies to british a/c getting inspections done overseas. i hope this answers you question.:D

IO540
13th Jul 2010, 19:59
For all the N-reg aircrafts based in the UK, they must have their US annual and service somehow performed in the UK. Does this mean that the service person has to have FAA A&P certification?Anybody suitably qualified can do the work but the Annual has to be signed off by an A&P/IA. There are plenty of freelance IAs around. Should cost about £200.

Now flip this - let's say you have a G-reg aircraft in the US over the period of its annual. Can the annual be done in the US by an FAA A&P or do you have to have one with EASA certification? And if so, are there such that can sign off a FAA done job?Again, anybody suitably qualified can do the work (which is fairly obvious if you poke your head into a randomly selected UK maintenance company, and see the "child labour" there ;) ) but it has to be signed off by the right authority. I would think that getting a G-reg maintained fully in the USA would be a regular hassle.

This kind of stuff can be a hassle if you go on a flying holiday. On a private N-reg, there is more flexibility on the inter-Annual services than on a private G-reg (no 150hr for example) but you don't really want say 70 hours on your oil...

crazyplane123
13th Jul 2010, 20:06
my mistake, for some reason i thought the question was focused in commercial planes, not little ones, the second opinion stands correct for small planes.:ok:

AdamFrisch
13th Jul 2010, 20:19
So let's say you fly your G-reg on a holiday. You pass the 150hr mark in Tunisia (or wherever). You continue home and land in Blighty with 160hrs since last check. What's going to happen?

S-Works
13th Jul 2010, 20:23
Nothing! Your manta company does the check and signs the paperwork. Or you could just do the check yourself.

IO540
13th Jul 2010, 20:43
So let's say you fly your G-reg on a holiday. You pass the 150hr mark in Tunisia (or wherever). You continue home and land in Blighty with 160hrs since last check. What's going to happen?The practical solution is to stop logging the flying time, once you pass the time plus the max allowed extra ;)

Tunisia is not far from the UK but it could be a lot worse.