PDA

View Full Version : Icom CM166 Batteries

Lew Ton
8th Sep 2001, 21:07
I've come across a company in Felixstowe - Combat Alexander - who will re-cell Icom CM166 batteries (for A3/A22) with 1000 mAh NiMH cells. The original cells are 600 mAh NiCd and therefore liable to the memory effect. They charge £28.75 + VAT + carriage. Replacemnet CM166s are over £60 I believe.

I haven't used them yet but a friend has and all is well. I do use a re-celled CM166 battery (with NiMH) and it does last quite a bit longer.

The only thing you have to be careful about is either use a charger with a thermal cutout (NiMH get somewhat warmer when charged) or just watch it!

Contact is [email protected] or look at www.combatalexander.co.uk. (http://www.combatalexander.co.uk.) I have no connection with the company although if you mention my name I may get a huge discount!! :D

LowNSlow
11th Sep 2001, 00:32
I just happen to have a battery cursed with the "memory effect", it'll barely take a charge. It sounds like a relatively cheap way to breathe some life into it.

QNH 1013
11th Sep 2001, 02:55
LowNSlow, Memory effect disappears after a few charge-discharge cycles. If your battery hasn't responded to a couple of cycles, then its what we in the trade call "knackered". You have probably got a few failed cells in the pack. At least you now have a solution.
I hadn't realised how bad the battery in my ICOM had got until I replaced all the cells.

criticalmass
11th Sep 2001, 17:15
Failed cells are caused by poorly-designed battery chargers which do little more than cook Nicads, then trickle charge them for an extended period.

The result is a buildup of "rogue alloy", which is a Nickel-Cadmium alloy nearly identical with the correct alloy but having a slightly reduced electrical potential. Once several cells develop appeciable amounts of this "rogue alloy" the capacity of the battery pack is reduced, leading to a battery which appears to exhibit "memory effect". True memory effect is only exhibited by Nicads which experience extende dperiods of identical charge and discharge cycles (satellite batteries, for example).

For a magnificent explanation of the details, the Anton Bauer company published a very good booklet aimed at the broadcasting industry (in which I work) which set out the situation in detail and which contained a wealth of information on Nicads and NiMh batteries.

By all means go for the NiMh re-pack, but be sure to get a proper NiMh charger as well.