PDA

View Full Version : Red Arrows Banned

Saintsman
13th Jul 2010, 13:37
The Red Arrows have ben banned from appearing in Dartmouth because H&S bods think that vibrations might cause further damage to buildings involved in a fire.

Now health and safety chiefs ban Red Arrows display over vibration fears | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1294358/Now-health-safety-chiefs-ban-Red-Arrows-display-vibration-fears.html)

Hmm :hmm:

NutLoose
13th Jul 2010, 14:49
Didn't stop the Luftwaffe visiting London night after night during the Blitz....... suppose we didn't have H&S bods in them days....... :p

Whenurhappy
13th Jul 2010, 15:06
Ding ding!

All aboard the Outrage Bus! First Stop Dartmouth Town Council.

Ding ding!

Muzzey
13th Jul 2010, 15:11
Don't you just love the "Yellow Jacket Brigade" - always ready to screw up a good show given half a chance............

Shell Management
13th Jul 2010, 15:17
In this case, considering the existing damage to buildings, this is a pertfectly sound risk based decision.

barnstormer1968
13th Jul 2010, 15:31
Whenurhappy

Quick, turn off the outrage bus engine!

The reds have not been banned, but there is simply going to be a risk assessment to see what if any damage may be caused (as per the full article, in contradiction of the head line).

I do love these Daily Mail headlines though.

This is just like their recent head line stating that because of Muslims, a local swimming pool had to 'black out' ALL of its windows.............

Which of course was actually referring to a swimming pool that had fitted transparent covers to some of its ground floor windows, to REPLACE cloth ones which had been there previously, and had got damaged. The action was taken as routine maintenance, and also due to complaints from all sections of swimming pool users, from women to men who felt embarrassed in tight swimming trunks!

Still, I cant complain.....This is after all the first 'reds banned' story I have read this year:}

Vitesse
13th Jul 2010, 15:48
Gratuitous Reds shot. Dartmouth a few years ago.

I do enjoy a display where you can look down on the aircraft.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x127/vitesse2l/Reds.jpg

Tankertrashnav
13th Jul 2010, 16:05
Nice pic, Vitesse.

I have it on VERY good authority* that in lieu of the Red Arrows display the H & S bod is going to be placed in the stocks on the quayside and be pelted with rotten fruit.

* a bloke in the pub!

Vitesse
13th Jul 2010, 16:06
This too.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x127/vitesse2l/Reds2002.jpg

Vitesse
13th Jul 2010, 16:18
Thanks TTN.

Scans from prints from real film.

The building inspector who's covering my extension build is slightly involved with the damaged buildings. Said there's something like 20 owners and didn't know if they were all insured!

Double Zero
13th Jul 2010, 16:28
Risk Assesment my arse !

In the time I spent at BAe, apart from 1 hired in pilot I never felt at risk in the air, but was nearly killed several times by the building works types !

My sailing club near Hayling Island, Hants' was subject to a lot of Luftwaffe attention in WWII, largely due to a sophisticated system of British decoys - fires and radio - to get them away from Portsmouth.

An officious little newcomer ( who I'm sure would pay good money to have a flashing light on his hard hat ) said we ought to do a Risk Assesment for working on the moorings; while I agreed no-one should go out alone, the bombs themselves are not a problem but the craters leave dangerous soft mud - I could only reply " well we're walking on tons of unexploded ordnance, how are you going to factor that in then ?! "

At which point he shut up...

BTW at Tangmere Museum ( which I'm nothing to do with ) there's a good set-up of a German beam guidance system, ( I forget the names ) and the British countermeasures; it's surprisingly difficult to get anywhere near the target.

Clockwork Mouse
16th Jul 2010, 11:57
It would appear that the story about the Reds being banned from Dartmouth is spurious. Ben Murphy (Red 1) has put a rebuttal on their website.

Tiger_mate
16th Jul 2010, 15:15
Cannot confirm the outcome, though it sounds favourable; but: The residents did have big problems with the tree hugging residents complaining that historic buildings were indeed being threatened by the annual presence of the Red Arrows. Local TV reports covered the story this week with cobblers about vibrations being mentioned. I am surprised the Reds did not adopt the principal of "Whatever.." as many a seaside town would bend over backwards to have them display once a year.

Tankertrashnav
16th Jul 2010, 16:31
many a seaside town would bend over backwards to have them display once a year.

Brighton springs to mind ;)

Navy_Adversary
16th Jul 2010, 17:18
vitesse
Liked the first pic, pity the steam train was running late.

Vitesse
16th Jul 2010, 17:57
Thank you NA.

I wonder if there is some 'Effin Safety rule about steam trains and the Red Arrows together?

That shot is at the limit for it's grain and my scanner's capabilities. The Chinook was much closer. It was also scarier than the Reds because it's manoeuvres looked so un-natural.

boftr
16th Jul 2010, 18:59
BTW at Tangmere Museum ( which I'm nothing to do with ) there's a good set-up of a German beam guidance system, ( I forget the names ) and the British countermeasures; it's surprisingly difficult to get anywhere near the target.

Headache (Knickebein) and aspirin?

D O Guerrero
17th Jul 2010, 08:20
Well, if you will read the Daily Mail...

Double Zero
17th Jul 2010, 08:22
boftr,

Yes they're the system codenames I'd forgotten, thanks.

I'm amazed if Dartmouth Council ever even considered banning the Reds, as they're the highlight of the Darmouth Festival and usually heavily advertised.

I was once sailing past, must be a good 20 years ago now, on the day; it was a flat sea and great weather, and after the Reds did their burst, we were treated to a private display as they vyed to get lower, as they re-grouped.

I will admit there is one smashing pub in the town ( the Cherub ) - VERY old, and one can feel the stucture swaying slightly - without beer assistance !

ShyTorque
17th Jul 2010, 10:05
The building involved was a Thai restaurant!! If they were so keen on preservation why wasn't it already a museum with no sources of ignition allowed inside?

Shutting the door, horse bolted, etc. :suspect:

Dengue_Dude
17th Jul 2010, 11:26
this is a pertfectly sound risk based decision.

Is this a bit of a pun?

Diamond T
17th Jul 2010, 19:15
Just to let all know, Dartmouth Council have now said that the Red Arrows will be allowed to do their display after all, scaffolding will be put up around the effected buildings, so why didn't the council think of that before.:=

Diamond T

moosemaster
19th Jul 2010, 09:23
Maybe because that involves spending actual 'money' to allow something that the residents want, as opposed to, say, a piece of "Modern art", or maybe a fake Christmas tree for £8000 (Poole, Dorset on both counts)

Just a thought.

Double Zero
19th Jul 2010, 10:41
Moose,

You should see the 'modern art' my local council inflicted on Horsham !
If I described or even photographed it you wouldn't believe me.

Dartmouth's quite a big harbour, and AFIK the aircraft stay out over the river.

If these buildings are that dodgy, I should think a few Hawks going past at a respectful distance is the least of their worries...