PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Completed their PPL over Xmas in UK?

JetMouse
7th Sep 2001, 12:48
I don’t wish for this to turn into a ‘which school is best’ bun fight – but I would like to know if anyone has taken their ppl in England over Christmas and if they managed to complete in the 3-4 weeks?

Fuji Abound
7th Sep 2001, 13:45
Ho, ho, ho

poetpilot
7th Sep 2001, 15:37
Silent flight, silent flight
All is calm, all is quiet
FI's all resting, why should they work
No Xmas overtime though customers lurk
Waiting in heavenly peace
Waiting in heavenly peace

or...............

God rest you merry QFIs let nothing you dismay
Remember you wont get paid more for working Xmas day
Although the punters want their flights I hear you say "no way"
Good lie-ins of comfort with Joy, comfort with Joy
Good lie-ins of comfort with Joy.

(apologies for being sexist to anyone named Joy).

[ 07 September 2001: Message edited by: poetpilot ]

JetMouse
7th Sep 2001, 17:10
Ok yes i see your point (nice poem by the way! :)) I was a diving instructor in a previous life and i remember vividly having to work 3 xmas’ on the trot - for normal rate! (and the punters thought we should all be so happy as it was xmas)

The point of my question however, is it feasible to get enough flying in, due to the weather, to complete my ppl (from scratch)over christmas? (will have done the groundschool prior)

I know nobody can foretell the weather accurately (apart from john kettley) but given the experience on this forum - can you expect to get a good amount of flying over christmas or should i forget it and go where the sun shines?

Genghis the Engineer
7th Sep 2001, 17:26
I think there's always a reasonable chance of good weather in December. But, the chances of doing a PPL in 3-4 weeks in the UK, even in August, are pretty slim.

G

Yogi-Bear
7th Sep 2001, 17:31
The straight answer is... probably not. My memories are of cr@p wx, empty school and a soporific torpor overtaking humanity. ;) Happy Christmas http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/santa_2.gif

[ 07 September 2001: Message edited by: Yogi-Bear ]

poetpilot
7th Sep 2001, 17:39
Yup, poems apart, realistically you should book it where the weather is predictable. By the way, remember it aint just the flying.

Cramming a PPL into 3 weeks including the ground stuff may well fry your brain. A mate of mine went and did the same thing - and he was pretty clued up before he went to the the US.

He had 5 hrs unofficial flying time so he was aware of the basics and was quite well co-ordinated - and had studied too before he went. But come week 3 and exam time he found it tough. He got it but needed a holiday at the end.

If you're after a PPL for fun, maybe best to do what you can but not make yourself hate it.........

Sorry, just re-read and realised you're getting the ground stuff out of the way first. Good thinking JetMouse!

[ 07 September 2001: Message edited by: poetpilot ]

Flyswift
7th Sep 2001, 23:19
Just a thought.....

Why over the Christmas period anyway.?? http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/reindeer.gif Is it going to be a pressy?

foxmoth
8th Sep 2001, 01:14
Did mine in July/Aug on an ATC flying schol when you only had to do 35 hrs for an approved course - still took me 6 weeks due to wx.
Could be ok though if you are lucky ( don't do it on grass though if last winter is anything to go by). :D :p

Cusco
8th Sep 2001, 22:00
J M

There is no way you're going to get all your PPL stuff in *over Christmas* unless your Christmas lasts for nearly three months like the Royal Family.

The weather will be pants, the daylight short and most grass airfields will be the consistency of rice pudding.

I work Christmas for normal rates but most flying schools will shut down for an extended period, usually because the airfield at which they're based does the same.

I started my training in October 92 with a view to a speedy PPL and even with good weather (unusually) I didn't get my PPL till April 93. (and No, I didn't take any longer than most)

The ground work? Piece of p*ss :the mad Vet on * A Plane is Born* on Sky consistently got over 85% for each paper.

Any way, how many flying schools do *ground work* ? Usually consists of a five minute briefing and you're sent off to plough through n volumes of Trevor Thom.

:)

Enjoy, but don't have unrealistic expectations: Or else go to the USA

Tiger_ Moth
8th Sep 2001, 22:20
No, theres just no way. Weather wouldnt be good enough. My club cant tolerate bad weather as much as conventional clubs operating cessnas and pipers (because they use Tiger Moths) but they say only 1 in 3 booked flights in the winter actually happen so I imagine it would be quite bad for cessnas too.

FlyingForFun
9th Sep 2001, 16:44
As I understand it, weather aside, if you want to do your PPL in that space of time, you should go to the States.

I've never researched this, because I didn't want to cram it into a few weeks. But I've read that flights to the States, accomodation and other living expenses, and flying time in the US works out cheaper than the equivalent flying time here.

Add to that the predicable weather in places like Miami and Texas, and your best bet is to buy an aviation magazine and look for the numbers of CAA (or JAA) recognised schools in the US. (Or see if anyone here can recommend one?)

If you do that, though, I've also heard it recommended that you take a couple of lessons here after you've got your PPL, so that you're used to the differences in airspace, weather, etc.

Good luck!

FFF
------------

JetMouse
10th Sep 2001, 14:12
Thanks for the help guys!

The reason i want to do it over xmas is because it's the only time during the year i can get sufficient time off. The problem is i live in central london and have no car. So to get to an airfield every weekend would cost me a minimum £20 and with no guarantee i could fly! so i want to complete it in one go and then use those weekends to build up hours and experience...

whilst i'm here does anyone know how much the ppl exams cost? Can any instructor mark them or are they sent away?

Thanks again for the help!

FlyingForFun
10th Sep 2001, 16:41
JetMouse,

Have a look at YWIW's recent thread on "Confidence/Time Commitment".

Even after you get your PPL, you'll still want to go to the airfield every weekend, and there still won't be any guarantee of flying. Getting the PPL is not the end of it - it's just a milestone on a continuous journey of adventure. But if you can't afford to start the journey in a manner which you can continue, take a long, hard look at what you picture yourself doing with your PPL, before you waste several thousand pounds on a license you can't afford to use.

Not trying to put you off (sorry if it sounds like I am) - on the contrary, trying to make you think about flying in a way that will ensure you can enjoy it!

Have fun,

FFF
---------

Mariner9
10th Sep 2001, 18:02
Jetmouse,

Written exams are marked at the flying school. You should get a quick pass/fail, and a debrief from your instructor.

The written exams have no 'cost' from the CAA/JAR, but most schools charge a fee (£10-20?) for the CFI's time in marking them.

I personally think you'd be very lucky to find sufficiently good weather in December to fit in (at least) 45 hrs in 21 days in the UK.

tiger burn
10th Sep 2001, 19:24
Exam fees are in the range of £30/ £40 per subject. UK wx in winter will hold you back. If you've done ground school over here, get out to the States (or NZ!!!) Anglo American in Ca have a good reputation & well maintained aircraft - 152s, 172s, cherokees etc & you can convert to tail draggers too.Flying time in both USA & NZ is @ 2/3 cheaper than UK, so even when you've deducted airfare its still reasonable & you'll get continuity.......instead of waiting days, weeks, months to get off the ground! Most USA schools can provide a package including accom.
Have fun & good luck!
Tiger B

Bluebeard
10th Sep 2001, 19:28
Hi Jetmouse

I'm afraid I've some sympathy with some of the other responses, if you're balking at spending £20 and some travelling time (some if which might be wasted) then GA might not be for you. If its one thing you can count on then it is that you will spend more time and money than you ever planned to when learning, and indeed when you do get your license.

On a more constructive note, I guess you've got 2 options:

1. Become sh*t hot at Meteorology...don't forget you will have to make this call for yourself one day so you'd best get into the habit of being able to assess the weather from day 1. Note that wx requirements for training will be different than 'normal' flying, so have a chat with an instructor so that he/she can lay down some guidelines for you to work with. If all else fails just call the school in advance of time for their advice
2. Got to the US...3 weeks is going at it something but it can be done

Good Luck

poetpilot
10th Sep 2001, 19:41
Re: Metreol.... Meterologi....Metriileo.. :mad: weather...

Fascinating article on www.avweb.com (http://www.avweb.com) right now on weather....
http://www.avweb.com/toc/columns.html
"The Pilot's Lounge: VFR Flight Training In Marginal Weather"

What fascinates me is the US definition of marginal VFR weather (3000 ft cludbase & 3-5 miles viz). In effect, I would say 50-60% of my (UK) flying has taken place in marginal (by US standards) VFR weather (please note: this does not make me a hero - or alternatively it makes all UK pilots heroes). :D

Having said that, we don't have to cope with the greater extremes of density altitude and high terrain & wilderness areas that they do, so maybe they are right in defining marginal weather the way they do. :)

Whatever, the article scores a bullseye on the problem of acquainting students with recognising marginal VFR and making the right (safe) decisions, something we have to be very good at in the UK nearly every time we fly VFR. Well worth a read.