PDA

View Full Version : Flying club - shortest trip from London-Paddington?

welrifai
13th Jul 2010, 00:57
Anyone have ideas on the nearest flying club to London-Paddington station? Keeping in mind that I don't own a car, so it will be trains/taxis... I've been going to Southend-on-Sea, which is around 100 minutes each way.

AdamFrisch
13th Jul 2010, 03:52
I don't know exactly which clubs are at each airfield, but you can def do better (as in closer) than Southend. White Waltham has a huge club and Denham has one so you could take the Heathrow Express to Heathrow from Paddington and then a taxi from there to either of those. Or go by tube to Elstree (not as quick). There's Stapleford as well, but I don't really know how to get there. Damyns Hall is on the overland or tube at Upminster, but they only have lighter aircraft.

BEagle
13th Jul 2010, 07:23
White Waltham. Train to Maidenhead (about 40 min), then 3 miles in a taxi. Trains are very frequent.

Excellent club house and facilities at WW!

trident3A
13th Jul 2010, 09:03
Elstree would work, £8 (10 minute) cab to Elstree & Borehamwood, 25 mins to Kings Cross and then 15 mins or so on the tube or get another cab to Padddington itself

NazgulAir
13th Jul 2010, 13:13
Central Line - Debden station
See map below (or go to London Underground Tube Map (http://www.metazone.co.uk/tubemap/undergroundmap.php) and look at satellite view). It isn't far.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/af224/stapleford_underground00.jpg

1800ed
13th Jul 2010, 16:57
I'd say Denham would be most convenient for you, depending on where you live in Padington. Walk to Marleybone, train to Denham Golf Club then you can walk to the airfield from there. Or get a taxi, there is a rank at Denham station but it's not that far.

douglasheld
16th Jul 2010, 19:42
I travel to Elstree from Central London weekly.

It's actually St. Pancras to "Elstree & Borehamwood" which is really just Borehamwood (15-20 minutes). From there, the leisurely country walk takes 50 minutes, or else 25 minute bicycle ride, or £7-£10 cab ride from the cabs which you can book around the corner from the station or at 02083867777.

The most efficient way from Paddington to St. Pancras is the H&C tube line or a bus.

I've never traveled overland to Denham but I gather this is a much simpler trip, 25 minutes train from Marylebone followed by a 20 minute walk. I'm going to try it out tomorrow and will update if necessary :-)