PDA

View Full Version : There are some who should never take to the air!

Cyclic Hotline
19th Jul 2001, 19:45
Below is an FAA accident report containing the detail of this woeful tale. :eek:

The Beech Bonanza had aborted it's take-off after noting that there was no airspeed indication on the take-off roll. The problem was remedied by removing the pitot cover!

No problem now, as everything was complete and prepared for flight. The moral is to never, ever fail to do a complete and thorough preflight.

On the second attempt, the aircraft succesfully took-off, only to immediately return to the field because the TOW-BAR had gone through the prop!

Some people should simply stay on the ground, some should be forced to stay on the ground! :confused:

Just to prove this is a real story...........
. Reg. No.: 9046Q M/M: BE33 Desc: 33 Debonair, Bonanza (E-24)
Activity: Unknown Phase: Landing GA-A/C: General Aviation
Descr: ACFT LANDED WITH THE NOSE WHEEL TOW BAR STILL ATTACHED, IT HAD PREVIOUSLY ABORTED A TAKE-OFF TO REMOVE THE PITOT COVER, AND THE ACFT SUSTAINED PROPELLER DAMAGE, BILLINGS, MT.

WX: BIL 0056Z 16007KT 10SM FEW080 SCT095 BKN120 27/08 A2973
Damage: Minor
C2. Injury Data: # Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 2 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
D. Location. City: BILLINGS State: MT Country: US
E. Event Date: 7/17/01 Time: 0202
F. Invest Coverage. IIC: Reg/DO: NM05 DO City: HELENA
G. Flt Handling. Dep Pt: BILLINGS, MT Dep Date: 7/17/01 Time:
Dest: BILLINGS, MT Last Radio Cont: FA 10L BIL ATCT Flt Plan: NONE
Last Clearance: CLRD TO LAND WX Briefing: N

col323i
20th Jul 2001, 11:11
" And some fell on stoney ground"

makes one shudder hey!!!!!

A and C
20th Jul 2001, 12:49
The moment that you start thinking that it cant happen to you it will !

Vortex what...ouch!
24th Jul 2001, 19:07
Read a book recently called "Propellorheads" about a microlight pilot. Although I use the term "pilot" in this case very loosely.

If that is the level of pilots that are flying around the sky today I am very worried.

bcfc
25th Jul 2001, 15:03
and another in the same vein... :rolleyes:

[edited for conciseness]

NTSB Identification: NYC01LA183

Accident occurred Sunday, July 22, 2001 at Biddeford, ME
Aircraft:Beech BE-36, registration: N3680U
Injuries: 1 Minor.

On July 22, 2001, about 1510 eastern daylight time, a Beech BE-36, N3680U, was substantially damaged during takeoff at the Biddeford Municipal Airport (B19), Biddeford, Maine. The certificated commercial pilot sustained minor injuries.

The airplane was departing runway 24, a 3,011 foot-long, asphalt runway.

According to a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector, when the airplane reached rotation speed, the pilot was not able to pull-back on the control column. The airplane continued down the runway, until it departed the end of the runway and impacted several small trees.

Post accident examination of the airplane by the FAA inspector revealed that the control column lock was installed in the control column.

The pilot reported 1,150 hours of total flight experience on his most recent application for a FAA first class medical certificate, which was issued on January 30, 2001. He was also a certified flight instructor.

One question...How?

Speedbird252
26th Jul 2001, 02:46
Bloody good question. A walkround is nothing short of the most essential pre-flight check, and the control locks are part that check. (on most a/c)

Even pre-start and then at the power checks you would check the control surfaces for full and free movement. This obviously was never done. I can only assume that a serious case of "done it a thousand times-itus" crept in.

An very expensive way to learn a very serious lesson.

Regards.

:eek: