PDA

View Full Version : VHF air-to-air chat frequenecy in the UK?

Aussie Andy
19th Jul 2001, 18:44
I think this has been discussed before, but inconclusively...

What frequency can we use for air-to-air chat?

We are thinking of a trip down to the West Country for a day or two at the beach with two families in two separate aircraft, and would like to have comms on Box 2 between the two a/c, whilst staying in touch with ATSU's on Box 1.

I believe in some countries, 123.45MHz is used - does anyone know if we are allowed to do that here? How would one check to make sure that frequency does not interfere with any ATSU services!?

Andy

Toppers
20th Jul 2001, 01:17
Aussie A,

As a v. regular flyer I do often tune in to 123.45 and hear general chit-chat. It appears to be very much an "open" frequency although I must admit I haven't used it like that before.

Have a word with your local CFI and see what he/she thinks.

Really glad to hear that you're using that licence well and have a lovely trip out!

Topppers

Lew Ton
20th Jul 2001, 01:55
There is no official air-to-air frequency in the UK, certainly 123.45 should not be used in this way. Yes, I know people do but they shouldn't. There was an AIC published a while ago on the subject, not sure if it is still current. Check the AIS site.

Spoonbill
20th Jul 2001, 02:38
Lewton is on the ball.
There is no official frequency allocated for air to air chat in the UK.
123.45 is allocated to several airfields, at least one of which has a published instrument approach procedure.
It is very poor airmanship, but not uncommon amongst some G/A pilots, to just pitch up on a frequency and chatter between yourselves, at the very least you block out someone who is legitamately using the frequency - you could also be blocking a more important call.
If you are flying with another aircraft, the best thing to do is call an atc unit, advise you are flying in formation, and if traffic permits, ask for permission to talk through to your colleague/s. However, use it sparingly.

Aussie Andy
20th Jul 2001, 03:19
Well, that's pretty clear then! Thanks guys...

I don't really see how its practical on, say, London Info on a busy sunny saturday arvo it would be possible to use the frequency for coordination between two aircraft.

I reckon it would be smart to allocated a frequency for this purpose... I wonder to whom I should write?

By the way, I have checked the AIC section of the AIS website and didn't spot anything applicable.

Andy

BlueLine
20th Jul 2001, 16:07
The only common frequency promulgated in the UK is 122.9 for helicopter departures at non radio sites.

Cahlibahn
20th Jul 2001, 16:58
[pedant mode]
122.9 is used by three towers that I can readily recall. I think you are referring to 122.95. I seem to remember that 130.42 is also a 'common' frequency (for aircraft transiting in the vicinity of an emergency). [/pedant mode]

Lew Ton
21st Jul 2001, 03:15
Frequency allocation is the remit of the Directorate of Airspace Policy, CAA House 45-59 Kingsway, London WC2B 6TE. They will tell you they don't have enough frequencies as it is!

stiknruda
21st Jul 2001, 13:21
The PFA are currently in discussion with the aforementioned radio agency to resolve this issue and are hoping that several frequencies be released for GA activity. One such frequency would be an air to air open frequency.

Stik

Zlin526
21st Jul 2001, 14:39
A few weeks ago, I spent almost an hour being subjected to the ongoing saga of a couple of idiots flying in to Oaksey park from places unknown. Using 118.00, which is reserved for other more important uses, they literally told each other what, where, why and how they were flying, power settings, speeds, what they were having for dinner -you name it. Guys, its exactly the reason that an air to air frequency is not available. Too much useless and irrelevant chat!!! DAP and the Radiocomms agency do monitor the freq's, so beware

If you need to, keep it short & sweet, otherwise concentrate on the flying......

BozoUK
21st Jul 2001, 17:29
Aussie Andy,

Where are you flying to here in the South West?

There are some really nice small strips, but we also have a lot of larger airfields (especially old WW2 military) that are often ignored by GA. One example is Newquay/RAF St Mawgan. I regularly fly into there on behalf of a flying school I work for, and it is often very quiet, excellent parking, helpful staff, fuel readily available - very close to the beach <g>.

That may sound like an advert but i promise I have nothing to do with them <g>

Aussie Andy
22nd Jul 2001, 21:59
G'day Bozo - Not sure yet where we'll fly into, but I do like the sound of St Mawgan... hadn't realised it was open to GA, but just looked it up on the Bottlang and there it is! Also, fancy some of the grass strips mentioned on the Devon Strut site http://www.devonstrut.co.uk/

Stik: Excellent news - good luck. Hey, start a petition... where do I sign!?

Andy

dv8
30th Aug 2002, 18:21
Does anyone know if 123.45 is currently being used by a UK airport?

StrateandLevel
30th Aug 2002, 19:45
Why don 't you get a couple of 446MHz licence exempt handhelds. They are not part of the aircraft radio station, not installed and Licence exempt so there is no rule to say where you can and can't use them.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
30th Aug 2002, 19:49
Well, if you are anything like certain allied military pilots, 121.5 or 243.0 is a start. :) :) :)

PPRuNe Radar
30th Aug 2002, 20:08
123.45 is published as the Inter Pilot Air to Air frequency for the Shanwick Oceanic Control Area.

TheKentishFledgling
30th Aug 2002, 20:09
Does anyone know if the PFA had any luck with what Stik talks about above?

tKF