PDA

View Full Version : mogas microlight

much2much
12th Jul 2010, 07:43
does any one no off any info" regarding the restriction " of mo-gas for use, in terms of temperature and operating altitude as now found in cap 747,particularly exemptions from the 6 000ft applied with reference to microlight aircraft.such as flight manual overrides

Rod1
12th Jul 2010, 08:23
Not sure if your micro is LAA or BMAA. LAA stuff is all here;

use of unleaded mogas (http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/engineering/Mogas/mogas_main.html)

Rod1

chevvron
12th Jul 2010, 11:44
If you use a 2-stroke engine, bear in mind the high lead content of AVGAS 100LL will cause long term harm. I read an article in a motorbike magazine many years ago which compared unleaded with AVGAS and the old 4-star leaded petrol; AVGAS contained about 3 times as much lead as the 4-star(which was abolished many years ago, so how long before AVGAS goes the same way?)!!

aviate1138
12th Jul 2010, 12:10
David Cook, designer of the CFM Shadow/Streak/Star Streak micro/light aircraft flew above 27,000 feet in his G-BONP Streak Shadow using mogas in an unmodified two stroke 532 Rotax. 28th April 1990.

Just thought I would add this small historical note.

much2much
12th Jul 2010, 12:18
and a very interesting note it,is; i,ll read that up it is the legal bit really i am interested in and if in such cases exemption were CAA approved and if other aircraft have the altitude restriction removed we all know what works
rod1 the LAA stuff is helpful tar ,interesting points on nethertorpe

jxc
12th Jul 2010, 21:44
I think it was 29,000ft and held the record
but I am sure the next person will say 31000ft

aviate1138
12th Jul 2010, 22:06
Well I was there on the day in question and the height reached was 27,061 feet or thereabouts. The CAA had been consulted and the nearby airway was kept clear for the attempt.

G-BONP took off from the Thorpeness Cricket Club pitch [ A regular CFM airstrip] and David used my sailplane oxygen system for the flight. He landed with the canopy covered in ice and the engine stopped. David Cook was so cold he didn't light his pipe for some time afterwards.

The record has been beaten since I think.