PDA

View Full Version : Requalifying time-expired PPL's

BeauMan
4th Sep 2001, 21:45
Following BEagle's link to the CAA website, I have printed off a copy of the GID for the Requirements for the Grant of a JAR-FCL PPL. (Thanks very much BEagle!) However, after reading it through, I have a question which I'm hoping someone can help with.

I hold a time expired FAA PPL (gained in 1993, last P1 October 1994, total hours 80), and my initial thoughts were that I will have to start from scratch. However, the GID quotes in part 2 (under 'Credits for Flying Training'):

"Any previous flying experience in single engine-piston (Land) aeroplanes may be counted towards the 45 hour minima required for the grant of a JAR-FCL PPL(A)."

My interpretation of this is that my previous experience is valid, even though I last flew as P1 7 years ago, and therefore I probably only need to fly 'x' hours at the discretion of a CFI and then complete the relevant navigation and handling tests.

While my bank balance is currently whooping with delight, I cannot help but have some misgivings about this, on the grounds that the credit for previous flying does not seem to take into account the time elapsed since last flight.

Could someone with more knowledge than me please let me know whether my interpretation of the rule is right or wrong, and also whether my misgivings are with or without foundation?

Noggin
4th Sep 2001, 23:29
You are quite right however, the GID is not entirely correct. There is nothing in JAR-FCL that says you must have done the aeroplane hours in SEP Class aeroplanes, that is an invention of the UK CAA. All your previous hours will count.

You may find that after a long lay off you will need a minimum of 20 hours to pass the Skill Tests however, if you can do it in less there is nothing to stop you. Rest assured nobody will cut corners if you are notup to it.

BEagle
5th Sep 2001, 01:03
ALL your previous flying will count! You just need to pass all the exams, produce evidence of the 150 nm solo cross-country and complete sufficient flying training to prepare you for the JAR/FCL PPL Skill Test.

Good luck!

Skylark4
5th Sep 2001, 01:29
When did you last ride a bike. It`s just the same with an aeroplane. The actual handling skills will return very quickly, at least, it did for me. What will take the time is getting the right mindset back, the lookout, thinking ahead, awareness of other aircraft etc..Good luck.

Mike W.

tacpot
5th Sep 2001, 02:06
I'm just going through the revalidation process for the UK CAA PPL after a 15 year lay-off. I'd agree with Noggin's estimate of the time to reach Skill Test standard. After 8 hours I went solo again, and estimate about 12-15 more hours will be required (8 of which have to be solo). With reference to Skylark4's comments, I found the mindset returned pretty quickly, as did as the general handling skills, but the landings - don't talk to me about landings.
:eek:

BeauMan
5th Sep 2001, 15:37
Thank you all for your comments! Can't wait to get back into it now. Cheers!