PDA

View Full Version : Diesel engines in smaller aircraft

Thomo91
11th Jul 2010, 21:48
What do you think about the idea?

Pretty hard to beat the old Lyc etc, but there are now a few diesels out there.

Anyone here flown them? What type of engine did it have, and what was it like?

Cheers

Intruder
11th Jul 2010, 23:54
I think it is a great idea, since leaded AvGas will not be available much longer. They will give us another option, and one that may be more palatable than alternative gasoline additives or formulations.

While Thielert went bankrupt, they did resolve a lot of the basic technical challenges, so those who follow will have an easier time.

Basil
12th Jul 2010, 11:36
Hope it works out - list of developers & manufacturers here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_diesel_engine)

Apropos nothing, recently noticed a little old aeroplane at Booker being fitted with a turbine :cool:

W2k
12th Jul 2010, 11:38
Have not flown them personally (yet) but we have a flying school close by that operates diesel DA40's (they fuel them with Jet A1). Don't seem to have any problems, the only complaints I've heard from students or staff of said school is that they're a bit underpowered, but for trainers that's to be expected I guess.

chevvron
12th Jul 2010, 11:59
It would make sense in the UK, where A1 is roughly half the cost of AVGAS and with a lower rate of VAT; combine this with lower specific fuel consumption and you're onto a winner!