PDA

View Full Version : STS-134 ... any chance for VIP-Access via ATC?

DE1
11th Jul 2010, 19:23
Hi Folks,

i am a German ATCO with a childhood-dream and i am desperately seeking some help to make it come true (although itīs not looking that good so far). So, maybe someone in the big Pilots- and ATC-World can be of some assistance?

So here is the task:

i would like to see the last Shuttle-Launch (STS-134) in February 2010 from a reasonable position. I do not have to explain to You that its already hard to get the days off in a chronically understaffed unit nor will it be easy to get a flight to KMCO. But the hardest thing of all will be to just get into KSC.

Is there anybody out there that can help me? Any way to get in via the "ATC-Way"? Any connections to NASA? Anybody who knows anyone that could know someone?

Would be really great! Will do anything in return (OK, almost anything...)

Thanks

DE1

throw a dyce
11th Jul 2010, 21:42
STS 134 scheduled for 26th February 2011.Why not try Coco Beach.:cool:

Signalman
12th Jul 2010, 19:42
I can not offer any VIP access however having looked into this in some detail for a previous launch, you may find the following useful.

The Kennedy Space Center provides access to view the Shuttle Launch from within the complex. There are various positions to view a launch from, there is a charge for this and a limited number of places. The nearer the launch the more costly the tickets and the less available.

The Tickets are typically put on sale 4-6 weeks prior to the launch and go within seconds. To obtain one you need to be pressing the refresh button on the browser constantly at the time they release the tickets (this is known in advance). Decide PRIOR to the release of the tickets which one you want (as any hesitation could cost you the place), complete the process as quickly as possible. Note even though you may add the ticket to your basket, this does not confirm it until you have completed the process. Despite adding the ticket to your basket, you can get to the CC part only to be told all the tickets are gone. You could always watch the sale of the tickets for STS 133 which is scheduled for the 1st Nov. so tickets should be on sale middle of Sep.

The tickets are for a particular launch, so if the date moves, then your ticket remains valid for the re scheduled date (unless you have already entered the Launch center)

Things may have changed, but I doubt it.

There is plenty of info on the net regarding watching a launch, there is even the Kennedy web site Orlando Florida Vacation Destination - Kennedy Space Center (http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com) which contains lots of useful info on watching a launch.

spekesoftly
12th Jul 2010, 23:31
Watched the launch of STS125 from Coco Beach last year. Launches are still very popular events, and the roads leading to KSC become very congested, so plan accordingly. Good luck, it's well worth the effort.