PDA

View Full Version : WX-radar: solid green line

PENKO
11th Jul 2010, 10:55
Sometimes, usually during the cruise, you get this solid green return on the wx radar that looks like a solid green line reaching from your position to the edge of the screen. You know what I mean.

What causes this? I heard anything from AWACS to aliens... :)

Boeing man
11th Jul 2010, 11:18
I think what you are decribing is known as spoking and it's caused from interference with the signals from other aircraft radar beams

PENKO
11th Jul 2010, 11:27
Thanks Boeing man. Found this thread with you help.
http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/234666-strange-radar-returns-ive-got-picture-too.html

fantom
11th Jul 2010, 11:37
Probably an AWACs or interceptor. If you fly near an aircraft carrier, you'll get the same thing. They're watching you...

Checkboard
11th Jul 2010, 13:15
That's an aviation myth, fantom - completely different frequencies.

heavy.airbourne
11th Jul 2010, 14:36
The freq does not matter sometimes as military radars can emit that much energy that it can scramble the whole band (they want to detect flies, too)

VinRouge
11th Jul 2010, 19:48
Radar jamming and deception - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_jamming_and_deception)

Theory here. Pointing a 1Kw emitter at a radar designed to recieve faint return pulses reflected from weather and you will overcome the gain of the radar, the result being a line on the radar. The relationship for returns is an D^3 relationship, wheras the power emmitted from the other radar is only proportional to D.

There is a range called "burn through" that we use that effectively means the radar recieving jamming can overcome the technique.

Other than changing PRF or freq can you overcome this issue.

cortilla
11th Jul 2010, 22:03
Fly anywhere near Nuremberg and you'll get that spike. Not sure exactly what it is but I've been told it's a powerful military radar.

heavy.airbourne
12th Jul 2010, 04:09
Also Wunstorf (ETNW) near HAJ and Itzehoe/Hungry Wolf (EDHF) near HAM, but that was long ago - many air bases along the wall those days, and powerful radars.