PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a flying club

thing
11th Jul 2010, 10:30
I'm considering doing my PPL, I'm based in Lincolnshire, nearest club is at RAF Waddington. Does anyone have any recommendations as to a club in Lincs to learn to fly at? Doesn't have to have all the social side although that would be nice as well. I'm looking for a friendly, laid back place basically.

Also I know some years ago that gliding experience counted towards hours off the hours required for PPL (why did it go up from 40?) at a rate of I think every 10 gliding hours was an hour off the powered side. Does this still apply? Thanks in advance.

Human Factor
11th Jul 2010, 11:44
This may be old gen however I believe you need a Silver C for gliding qualifications to count.

Whopity
11th Jul 2010, 12:42
If you get the chance to join a military club go for it, lots of advantages, some disadvantages, but in general there are more advantages. As with any club, go and see them and make your mind up based on what you see and feel about it.

You get up to 10 hours max credit for gliding based upon 10% of you PIC time in gliders so you would need 100 hours to get 10 credit.

The PPL increased to 45 hours in 1999, the wonders of Europe! As most people take longer its not a big issue. Silver C credits ceased at the same time but still apply to the NPPL (http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/PDFs/NPPL%20XC%20REV%2008.pdf).

thing
11th Jul 2010, 14:35
Thanks for the replies guys. Humberside is a little too far, about an hour's drive from here, I was looking at something closer although the thought of flying from a 'proper' airport would certainly be something I would consider to be an advantage. I flew into Humberside in a PA28 some years ago and was quite impressed with it TBH.

Whoppity what are the disadvantages of flying in a military club? The reason I ask is that I used to glide form Winthorpe at Newark, now sadly closed (If you ever got lost flying from Winthorpe then you really needed to hang up you goggles as it was right on the point of the A1, River Trent and a mainline railway.) and one day I took a punt up to Cranwell, about 15 minutes gliding away to check their club out. They have a fantastic fleet, cheap tow and winching etc which I thought was great, so I asked casually what the score was on joining. Instead of being enthusiastic about perhaps gaining a new member the general consensus seemed to be 'Why do you want to join?'

Er...because apart from Bicester this is the best equiped gliding club I've ever been to? I really didn't get what the problem was, some of the members there that day were downright rude and regardless of size of fleet and price I decided pretty quick that it wasn't the place for me. I also saw and heard an instructor tearing a strip off a guy who had landed long which I thought was totally out of order. The general feeling was one of hostility which has sort of put me off 'military' style clubs. I quickly scuttled back to Winthorpe were I appreciated the banter and friendliness a bit more from then on. Now obviously you can't tar them all with the same brush (I have to say that when I visited Bicester they were brilliant, and what a hangar full of kit they had, it was like opening the doors to heaven) but I'm wary.

I have a silver C and about 75 hours P1 in gliders so hopefully that might save me a few bob!

Mickey Kaye
11th Jul 2010, 17:25
What about Lincoln Aero Club at Sturgate?

Unfortunately they are only open at the weekends but its a lovely little airfield and their prices are very competitive.

thing
11th Jul 2010, 17:27
They don't do PPL training anymore which is a shame as I've flown from Sturgate and it's a great little place.

Whopity
11th Jul 2010, 17:58
The disadvantages are usually associated with the Military being the military, more rules, getting in and out parking cars etc. ATC can also be an issue not allowing private flying when you have booked a slot. You may find that you get a different instructor each time as most instructors have other things to do. If you can put up with the nif-naf the advantages are worth it.

thing
11th Jul 2010, 18:06
Ok then, what are the advantages! Genuine question, Waddington would be very handy for me, I knew a girl who used to fly from there (Can't remember her name but she was a music teacher at Branston school, now flying for a living, Sarah perhaps?) and she rated it highly. I've looked at the prices for training and they are about on a par with other local schools, Gamston etc. Waddo has a 9000 foot runway which if you're a beginner would be a slight advantage I imagine.......but then what if you wanted to take a couple of mates up after you get your licence, would they need security passes and all that malarkey?

7of9
11th Jul 2010, 18:45
Sandtoft!!! That's where i did my training, Full silver Gliding with 150 hours when i started a year ago today.
Went solo after 5 lessons Qualified at 37.5 hours with the gliding hours credited.
No messing, instructors great.
If you want a full breakdown of how each lesson went to give you an idea, pop me a PM with your Email & i will send the notes onto you, Cost me around £6000 to do & 7 months of lessons.

These are who run the flying instructions at Sandtoft now.

We have a Fly in on August 7th if you want to come down & meet the guys.

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/417632-sandtoft-fly-saturday-7th-august-2010-a.html

Home | 52nd Street Aviation (http://www.52ndstreetaviation.com/home)

Trev

thing
11th Jul 2010, 19:31
PM on the way.

squawking 7700
12th Jul 2010, 08:54
Wickenby? Fenland? depends whre you are in Lincolnshire.

Or how about Netherthorpe? only a little further than Gamston.

Studefather
12th Jul 2010, 11:31
I can heartily recommend Wickenby. 20 minutes N.E. Lincoln.

Very active and friendly flying club members and staff. Self-fly hire, flying training on GA and microlight, tailwheel conversion, fantastic cafe open 7 days.
Modern, vintage and kit-built aircraft aplenty and occasional 'Unlimited level' aeros in the overhead. Bijou museum of 12 & 626 Lancaster Squadrons.

But I am biased, having spent most of my free time there for the last 5 years!

Stewart

Whopity
12th Jul 2010, 12:34
what are the advantages!High standard of instruction, operation from a large airfield with all the necessary facilities. They are non-profit making clubs. Opportunity to visit ATC; an interesting bunch of students etc.

MDHAC
12th Jul 2010, 13:51
I have to agree with the threads the posters that have listed Wickenby, depending onwhere in Lincs you re based. Judging by Waddington being close id say Wickenby may be the best bet, plus Ive flown into Wickenby a number of times (first Solo land away was there) and always found it friendly, and with good facilities.
Whilst i agree that Long runways can be of benfit when learning, I learnt ona 600 m grass strip and this, in my opinion, has been more beneficial as since passing my test im happy to fly into anywhere. When speaking to people who learnt with big long tarmac runways they often feel the need to do farm strip conversion after passing, or just avoid places with short grass runways which is a shame.
Whilst Wickenby is not a short grass runway, I believe it flys into some(including the one I learnt at) during the PPL which should help with confidence.
Although as a glider pilot I would imagine you would be ok with this anyway.
Good Luck with where ever you choose to learn.

thing
12th Jul 2010, 14:25
Ooohh! High standard of instruction?.............implying that civilian schools?...........I see a flame war :}:}. Seriously, thanks for the reply.

Mickey Kaye
19th Jul 2010, 16:01
"They don't do PPL training anymore which is a shame as I've flown from Sturgate and it's a great little place."

Since the CAA changed the goalposts with repect from PPL training at unlicensed airfields they have started PPL training again.

Nice airfield and I would be very surprised if you could beat them on price.

thing
19th Jul 2010, 16:07
Mmm. Nothing on the website that indicates that they do.

Lincoln Aero Club (http://www.lincolnaeroclub.co.uk/index.html)

Mickey Kaye
20th Jul 2010, 16:19
Spoke to them last weekend and heard it directly from the horses mouth. That due to the CAA recent changes to training from unlicensed aerodromes they have again started to offer ab initio PPL training.