PDA

View Full Version : Old Sarum aerobatic experience day - 31/July

hugh flung_dung
10th Jul 2010, 21:21
Mods: I hope this is within the rules - the entrance fee goes to Help for Heroes and the instructors are giving their time free.

The Old Sarum aerobatic experience day is being held on 31/July - register now by sending an email to [email protected] ([email protected]?subject=aero%20day&body=)
No previous aerobatic experience is required.
The aim of the day is to provide an opportunity for pilots to get 20-30 minutes of free aerobatic tuition and then to try flying in an aerobatic "box" over the airfield (with a safety pilot) while a trained judge observes and critiques their efforts. After a debrief there will be the opportunity to try again.

All flights will be dual and to BAeA rules - and all very relaxed, with the emphasis on safety and fun. We will use the 2010 BAeA beginner's sequence (half cuban, stall turn, loop, quarter clover, slow roll) but the event will not be a "competition".

It's expected that the following aircraft will be available: CAP10c, Super Decathlon, Bulldog and Robin 2160. The instructors and ground staff will not charge for their time so the only cost will be the aircraft usage (at the solo rate) and a £10 entry fee which will be donated to Help for Heroes.

In addition there will also be the opportunity to try your hand at vintage aerobatics in a Tiger Moth!

Put a smile on your face - it's absolutely the best fun in GA!

SOLO HIRE RATE - FI COACHING FREE - ALL FLIGHTS DUAL

Register now, or call Dave Sawdon or Paul Isherwood for more information.
Dave Sawdon 07578 280089
Paul Isherwood 07855 763322

HFD (aka Dave Sawdon)

hugh flung_dung
13th Jul 2010, 21:26
A quick update: 15 of the 20 slots have now been booked so if you want to discover just how much fun you can have in an aeroplane please don't wait much longer. Send an email to [email protected]. Simples!

HFD

stickandrudderman
13th Jul 2010, 22:42
enquiry sent....................

hugh flung_dung
15th Jul 2010, 18:21
The entry list is now full, but there may be last minute cancellations so please send notes to the published email address if you want to go onto the reserve list.
The list is here: Aeros Day Details | oldsarumairfield.co.uk (http://www.oldsarumairfield.co.uk/2009/full-news/219-aeros-day-details.html)

Next week an email containing more detail about the day will be sent out to all those who have already been notified of a confirmed slot.

HFD

hugh flung_dung
21st Jul 2010, 11:59
Quick update - those who are on the list will get an email with final details later this week. The current plan is that briefings will start at 0945 and that the first slot will begin at 1030.
Please plan to be at Old Sarum for registration between 0830 and 0930.

Good news: Old Sarum Flying School have just made massive reductions to all their flying rates Learn To Fly With Old Sarum Flying School (http://www.flysarum.com/osfs/?page_id=633) so those in the Cap10c will benefit.

HFD

jez d
23rd Jul 2010, 08:55
HFD

While donating the entrance fees to Help for Heroes can only be seen as a laudable action, I am somewhat concerned that your neighbours have been overlooked.

The Aviation for Paraplegics and Tetraplegics Charitable Trust (APT), based at Old Sarum, is currently on its knees and in dire need of charitable donations if it is to survive beyond the end of this year.

This is not a dig at your altruistic intentions, and I wish you every success this weekend. I did, however, want to take this opportunity to highlight APT's struggle to keep going.

www.disabledflying.org.uk (http://www.disabledflying.org.uk)

Best wishes

jez

hugh flung_dung
23rd Jul 2010, 14:02
A fair point, but we started to put the day together before APT's problems were widely known about.
APT is a very worthwhile cause so hopefully some of those visiting OS on the 31st will choose to make a donation to them.

HFD

jez d
23rd Jul 2010, 15:46
Yup, they are indeed a worthy outfit who have benefitted countless hundreds of individuals over the last 10+ years.

Hope your event proves a rollicking success :ok:

jez

hugh flung_dung
26th Jul 2010, 15:50
All participants should have received an email earlier today with further details, if you haven't received the email please send a note to
aeroday at oldsarumairfield dot co dot uk

A note for Daniel Francis - please can you make contact via the aeroday email address.

(Edited to try to get the email address to display - you can guess what to do with the "at" and the "dot"s)

HFD

stickandrudderman
26th Jul 2010, 19:48
Looking forward to it!:ok:

stickandrudderman
1st Aug 2010, 08:27
Dave and Paul,
Thanks very much for organising a fantastic day, and thanks too to the instructors for providing their time FOC.
Everyone seemed to have a great time and it was an excellent opportunity to learn what aerobatic competitions are all about, without having to go through the formality of actually completing the course and formally entering.
There were a couple of ringers who IMHO were simply taking advantage but other than that it was one of the best days flying I've had and a few quid was raised for a good cause to boot.
Well done to all those who helped make it happen, including the nice people at Old Sarum who gave us a warm welcome, and to all those that made the effort to turn up and give it a go!
Stick:ok:

hugh flung_dung
1st Aug 2010, 12:40
I'd like to publicly thank everyone who helped make this event such a success, but in particular:

Ben and Howard, who drove from the far SouthWest to support us and then sat near the 06 hold all day in order to give critiques of the sequences
Bob, Duncan, Graham and Ollie for donating their time and patience in the air
Western Air (Thruxton), Bournemouth Flying Club and Old Sarum Flying School for making their aircraft availableI haven't had confirmation yet of the amount raised for H4H but I believe it will be around £250.

We've got some ideas on what could have been done better or differently but would welcome feedback from any of the participants, preferably by PM to me because I don't know how long the Aeroday email address will be kept alive.

Dave (aka HFD)

hugh flung_dung
2nd Aug 2010, 12:46
The first video is here:
YouTube - OS aeros (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPSEeXW7mKc)

are there any more?

FleetFlyer
2nd Aug 2010, 18:15
I would like to add my thanks to Dave and Paul for the incredible day's flying they organised.

It was quite simply the best day's flying I have had since I first soloed a glider aged 17. It's re-ignited my love affair with flying completely.

My instructor was Graham from the Bournemouth Flying School. He was quite simply the best instructor I have ever sat next to and just fantastic at getting the best possible performance out of me.

I am now looking to get a share in something aerobatic in a couple of months and am really keen on having a go at competing.

If I'm allowed back for the next one I'll grab the opportunity with both hands.

In the meantime if there are any aerobatic pilots out there who have two-seat mounts who want some ballast or someone to show off to then please PM me. (I'm thinking of you Paul with your big yellow beast!)