PDA

View Full Version : QXC Stapleford - Southend - Norwich - Stapleford

Teenyweeny ATC Cdt Cpl
3rd Sep 2001, 23:47
OK, I've finally got to the stage where I'm doing my QXC...(got the RT theory and practical the *ssame* day too...) Any of you fine people out there got any advice re: the route, airfields, or anything else?

All help greatfully appreciated!

[ 03 September 2001: Message edited by: The Squawking Spamcan ]

Fuji Abound
4th Sep 2001, 01:06
Make sure you have got plenty of time - it is probably the first time you have undertaken a mini tour by yourself, so really enjoy it, because it is one of those flights you will probably always remember. As part of the time you set aside, try and visit ATC at each airport - in any event they will need to sign off your form. Take the trouble to chat to them about GA and their pet likes and dislikes about the way pilots conduct themselves - you will learn a lot. Tell the various en route agencies you are doing your QXC - they will be even more helpful. Thoroughly enjoy it - and when you get your PPL remember that you happily coped with the QXC and promise to make the effort to keep up the longer routes so that you dont end up like so many PPs who get fed up taking their friends for a 30 miniute spin around the local area because they have lost their confidence to go further afield. Finally, and if you are feeling very brave, dont forget that Southend has an ILS - so if you are have a G/S go ahead and tune it to the correct frequency and see how your visual apprach follows the G/S!

[ 03 September 2001: Message edited by: Fuji Abound ]

Toppers
4th Sep 2001, 01:36
My advice................

Slip a Garmin GPS III Pilot in your back pocket and enjoy the ride. :cool:

BEagle
4th Sep 2001, 02:13
......and then go on to fail Section 3 of your PPL Skill Test due to being unable to navigate properly? Do wise up!!

Trinity 09L
4th Sep 2001, 02:19
Walk the route (around the lounge or garden) and talk the route ( to yourself) practising R/T all the time, remember "tyro", (in the car or elsewhere) plan for any errors, and the weather will be good. Take a camera for the evidence at each place!!!! :D

bcfc
4th Sep 2001, 11:59
Take a bottle of water and a couple of cereal bars. I found this kept the blood sugar up and concentration high.

Agree with Fuji about talking to ATC and the ground staff. One of my stops was Bournemouth and they couldn’t have been nicer and made the final leg a real confidence booster. I didn’t do anything new though. I think you should just follow your plog and fly as you’ve been taught.

The feeling of satisfaction is up there with first solo and skills test pass.

Good luck & enjoy.

Rallye Driver
4th Sep 2001, 15:39
This is the QXC route that I did a couple of years ago. A nicer route than Shoreham-Lydd

That part of East Anglia seems to be all green fields, so tracking the Clacton VOR both ways worked well for me. It also kept me away from Wattisham MATZ.

Call up Norwich when you get past Ipswich. Theyve got radar, so will give you traffic information on your way inbound and are very helpful.

Keep a good look out for gliders from Tibbenham, which should be just off your track on the left.

When you get to Norwich don't be deceived by the cross runway which you'll see as you approach from the south. The main east-west runway becomes apparent when you get a bit closer.

Both Norwich and Southend have got NDBs, so if your 152 has got an ADF you can use that to keep you pointing in the right direction.

Other than that – just enjoy yourself. It's a great feeling when you get back. I did my QXC in G-BOTB, the remains of which are now languishing behind the hangar after someone nosed it in on 22L and burnt it out.

Good luck

RD

G SXTY
4th Sep 2001, 17:23
And you probably know this already, but if you’re strapping on G-BTGX (she of the long-range tanks) replace the VSI with an egg-timer.

I’ve seen 300fpm with a couple of 8 stone weaklings behind the wheel, so it doesn’t bode well for anyone who likes a pie or two. ;)

Toppers
5th Sep 2001, 02:14
Lighten up BEagle,

If they think he's competent enough to carry out his Qual. Xcountry, RT Theory and RT Practical in the same day he must be pretty damn competent.

PS Don't forget to make sure you have some new batteries in the GPS before you leave.

Teenyweeny ATC Cdt Cpl
5th Sep 2001, 21:00
Thanks everyone for the advice:

Beags/Toppers: mea culpa, mea maxima culpa, but I have been practicing with a GPS II Pilot :o: but it's usually just on the seat next to me woefully disused - I much prefer to be looking out of the window and doing it "the old fashioned way" than staring at a tiny LCD screen...I just find it more enjoyable that way. Having said that, the one time I used ot properly it works like a dream...

RD: My route wasn't via Clacton but Birch disused - routeing practically overhead Wattisham. I'm not too worried about MATZ/ATZ crossing at Wattisham, but I was wondering about SAR helo activity...anyone?

Tango Uniform...yes, I've had my run-ins with GBTGX..."sedentary" ;)