PDA

View Full Version : Renting aircraft in France

Aussie Andy
17th Jul 2001, 19:35
Thinking about maybe a holiday in France next year, and doing some flying whilst there. Trouble is, with wife, two kids plus two of my brothers coming over from Australia for the trip, plus luggage, I don't think the club PA28 will get us all there! :eek:

So a better plan may be to drive over (I have a big "people mover" type car!) and then rent something while there to do some local (and not so local!) touring.

We have friends near Rouen, so might be interested to find possibilities to rent there. If anyone knows or can recommend someone there or anywhere else in northern France, please let me know.

Cheers,

Andy

skua
17th Jul 2001, 20:54
Andy
I rented a Jodel many moons ago from Lessay. Good location, and cheap. I have since been back there in my own aircraft several times, and it is a very friendly club.

Also try Bernay which have a few Robins I think, and is less than 1 hr drive from Rouen. Not sure what they have at Rouen-Boos itself. Deauville have an Aztec or Apache, amongst other things.

Have fun.

SteveR
18th Jul 2001, 01:19
skua:

What sort of prices were you paying?, and was the system pretty much the same? (ie, join a club temporarily, do a check out (how long?) then fly without the instructor?).

Steve R

Dude~
18th Jul 2001, 15:58
G'day

Try the FNA site (Fédération Nationale Aéronautique - French CAA) at:
http://www.fna.asso.fr/fna/

The following is a short cut to a map of France. Click on the area you are going to and you get a list of the local aeroclubs.
http://www.fna.asso.fr/fna/club.rech.geo.html

Good luck

skua
18th Jul 2001, 20:40
Steve R
You are right, join the club (not expensive), 1 hour checkout (max) and off you go. Can't remember the rates, because it was so long ago, but it was cheaper than GB at the time, and I believe still is so.

French pilots are a friendly bunch. Remember that most of them never do any international flying, because they don't have the right sort of licence. I believe you have to have proficienncy in (pilot) English, before you get an (international) PPL. So the odds are that you have more touring experience than their average club member.

Aussie Andy
19th Jul 2001, 18:49
Thanks Dude~ - FNA link really useful, excellent. Looks like rates are lower than here (in London area) anyway!

Cheers,

Andy