PDA

View Full Version : Group flying....help required please

col323i
16th Jul 2001, 16:22
I'm thinking of buying an aircraft (pa 28 or likes) to sell shares in for group flying, main reason is cost in the long run & you know what maintenance has been done if it's your own aircraft. If anyone has any advice etc on starting a group & no doubt the many pitfalls of such a thing, would appreciate any feedback. Have done a bit of read up on groups but was wondering if there is a set templete etc avaible to follow re setting up, ie is it best to set up as LTD company first etc etc. Any feed back would be most welcome indeed many thanks & blue skies to you all.

You want it when?
16th Jul 2001, 16:28
You could try the PFA via PFA (http://www.pfa.org.uk/PFA/pfa.html)
They have heaps on groups etc, costs £40 per year but this is a minor cost in the avation world (as I am finding out <G> )

18greens
19th Jul 2001, 13:10
If its a PA28 you want why not just join one of the many PA28 groups which are already in place.

If this is your first go at A/c ownership you will learn a lot at everyone elses expense. If you then want to buy one and share it out you still can.

Also if you join a group where the initial gloss has worn off the access to the ac will be better. If 4 of you buy an ac you will all be clamouring to get in at the same time.

What ever you do good luck.

arrow2
19th Jul 2001, 14:32
Agree with 18 greens - there is a lot to learn if you own an aircraft outright before selling shares. Better to join an existing group where you can then start to learn the various elements - maintenance, running the diary, treasurer, social secretary, CAA liaison etc etc. There is a lot to do!

e-mail me if you want more info - I am involved in the operation of a 10 people PA28R group.

A2

col323i
19th Jul 2001, 16:05
Many thanks for all the feedback, it is greatly appreciated. The only reason for buying an aircraft in the first place is that I have the chance of purchasing an arrow (non - turbo) at a good price. If it comes off the group idea would be to reduce the overall cost.......still good idea or bad? :)

18greens
20th Jul 2001, 16:38
Eeek sharing a complex a/c, definately talk to Arrow2 about his experiences.

I rent arrows and the number of times the a/c goes tech is frequent and it goes without saying expensive. Retractable undercarriage, floppy prop etc all need careful handling if they are to last.

If this arrow is cheap you have to ask why. Arrows are in big demand at the moment from flying schools since the CPL gft had to be conducted in a complex a/c. The arrow is just about the only one that fits the bill.

Gorgeous aircraft to fly though.

Keef
21st Jul 2001, 18:31
Group flying is a great way to enjoy a better aircraft than your typical club hack, and at a better price if you fly a lot.

I'm in my third group aircraft, and can honestly say it's all been excellent. BUT there are pitfalls, and it's as well to be sure the group is well set up, with clear rules to avoid awful arguments later, and that you get on with the other group members.
I've heard some real horror stories...

18greens
25th Jul 2001, 14:31
Anyone care to share their group horror stories?

In one goup I was in one member flew it so much no-one else got a look in. He/she booked every weekend in the year. Obviously a rule about the number of bookings may help with this.

In another group the prop got dinged but no-one owned up to it. This meant the insurance would not pay out and the group ended up disbanding due to bad feeling. They probably all ended up losing since the sale value of a plane is seldom the sum of the shares.

Any others?