PDA

View Full Version : PPL/IR

dde0apb
31st Aug 2001, 14:50
I am sure this has been covered many times (and if recently, please forgive me and point me to the right thread, but...)

Does anyone know what the definitive route to a PPL/IR is these days - if there is one? This is for someone with IMC/Night rating and CAA PPL.

Thanks

Noggin
1st Sep 2001, 01:23
There is no such thing as a PPL/IR.

The route to an IR is to pass the IR written examinations following a course of theoretical training and complete an approved IR flying course, 50 hours for S/E and 55 hours for M/E. If you have 600 hours you can still follow the old UK exemption route so long as you complete it by 30 June 2002.

The big problem is that nobody is offering a theoretical knowledge course for the IR. The last set of National PPL/IR exams is being held in November, the flying is as quoted above.

dde0apb
3rd Sep 2001, 02:48
Thanks for the answer. I guess the only option is to do the ATPL course and exams :(

JP5A
3rd Sep 2001, 21:23
dde
The ATPL is not an alternative to the IR.
They are two different animals and are not interchangeable.
A PPL can have a IR and fly in controlled airspace down to a very low minima depending on the navaids used as per the limits in the Aerad with all the benefits that brings.
An ATPL pilot cannot do these things unless he has a IR.
Likewise an IR pilot cannot fly for hire and reward unless holding a CPL/ATPL.
Normally on fixed wing an ATPL without an IR is useless.

:D :D

Keef
3rd Sep 2001, 23:43
Errr ... I may be confusing things with the USA, but doesn't an ATPL automatically include an IR?

Anyway, the CAA/JAR PPL/IR route is gone now, unless you've already started and done a bit. The best choice I've been able to come up with is to do an FAA PPL (or CPL) and IR, and look for N-reg aircraft...
Keef :rolleyes:

Fuji Abound
4th Sep 2001, 01:18
Have we got this right - my understanding is that for anyone starting now the JAR CPL exams are available - the only difference with their CPL counterparts is that I think the whole exam has to be taken whereas the CAA PPL/IRer did not require to complete all parts. The flying part I suspect is much the same, althought the "self improverer" route goes next year, as does the reduction for IMC holders. Any one got a more precise understanding?

TyneQNH
4th Sep 2001, 12:39
My understanding is that the holder of a UK licence csn still take the CAA route to the IR.

Specifically this means that they can sit the UK examinations, provided these are passed by November 2001.

UK licence holders are also exempted from the requirement for an approved IR training course (as required for JAR FCL) provided they meet the experience requirements which are summarised in CAA general information document 15.

Effectively the route to an IR for a CAA licence holder is unchanged, provided the theory exams are passed by November 2001 and the experience / test requirements met so that a licence can be issued by 30th June 2002.

Links below are to August 1 licensing policy update and the relevant General Information Document.

General Information document re: IR (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_gid15.pdf)

CAA August licensing update (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_policyupdate.pdf)