PDA

View Full Version : Tri R Kis

barne_as
7th Jul 2010, 19:40
Just recently seen a number of Tri R Kis available for sale.

On paper this seems a good comparison for a decent tourer, something like a Europa or a Vans, although it appears to be cheaper to buy.

Anybody got any views or comments on this aircraft?
Is there some reason that a number of people are selling?

S205-18F
7th Jul 2010, 19:57
Hi we just bought one and so far WOW! what a superb machine! Ours has a few mods and a continental IO240 engine with a constant speed MT prop. The mod that is the most important if you are going to use grass strips is an oleo front wheel! The castoring spring wheel is fine but a little delicate. Handling cruise and landing is very benign:D!
Regards John. G-BVZD

jellycopter
7th Jul 2010, 21:31
Hi

I own G-BZDR, with IO-240 and MT VP Prop.

She's great to fly, I've done 300+ hours in her.

Pros: Fast (140+ kt cruise), economical (27lph at max cont), good looking, not too common, easy maintenance, small (hangarage), can operate from grass of about 400m.

Cons: Very responsive/light in pitch but quite heavy in roll, little headroom for taller pilots, elevator feel/authority weak at low IAS, stall has minimal warning and wing drop is common but which one is unpredictable, 1450lb MAUW means its not possible to carry full fuel and 2 adults, stock nosewheel needs careful handling on touchdown.

If you type G-BZDR into youtube you can see her in action in formation. there's also a clip of a landing at Sherlowe, type sherlowe into youtube and look for clip no.1 at about 8min50secs.

As for touring, I've been to Spain and flew back from Barcelona to Sleap 6.5hrs.

I don't think the KIS will suit everyone, but if you're not too tall, or too heavy, and have a modicum of handling ability, it's a hard combination to beat.

JJ

VictorGolf
8th Jul 2010, 17:34
What was the story with the one that parted company with it's engine on takeoff from Calais(?) with the expected result?