PDA

View Full Version : Sandown

Miroku
7th Jul 2010, 18:32
Has anyone flown into Sandown recently and if so, what was it like? I've been to Bembridge and thought I'd try the alternative..........

barne_as
7th Jul 2010, 19:36
Not been recently, my last visit was last summer.

My money would go to Bembridge if I had to choose as I found a better maintained airfield, more friendly welcome and better cafe / food.

I had no real problems with Sandown and would say its worth a visit, but for all my IOW trips I choose Bembridge. Sandown for me has nothing special to offer.

Both used to charge the same £10 landing fee.

Piper.Classique
7th Jul 2010, 20:45
Well, I got stuck out there in May. The lady who runs the café is friendly and helpful, there is a bus to the town and a supermarket next door. The runway is more taildragger friendly than Bembridge. It's an airfield.......I wasn't charged for camping next to the Cub. Actually, apart from having to spend two nights in a tent it was OK. Nice helpful people fly from there, including the guy who took me to meet his wife and kids, fed me, and got my flight plan filed.
It's actually more like a farm strip from the amenities point of view, but then I like farm strips.

bingoboy
8th Jul 2010, 06:49
Sandown has a quaintly rundown air as does the seaside town itself but the runway is good and it is very close to amenities.
They have a Spitfire renewal facility which seems very busy and several GA hangars.

Weekend Flyer
8th Jul 2010, 07:07
I have landed there on each of the last three weekends - you could say that I like Sandown! The airfield is now unlicensed and PPR is mandatory by telephone on 01983 405125 (Andy). Expect to join overhead and make blind calls on "Sandown Traffic" 119.275. You won't get any replies over the radio but the frequency is monitored from the ground. Wander over to the Portacabin behind and to the right of the tower as you leave the parking area and Carla will provide you with reasonably-priced teas, coffees, and a modest menu of tasty fare. Landing fee is £10, payable in cash to Carla during the week or to Henry at weekends - he'll be by the Portacabin, complete with radio and booking-in log.

Local taxis are available - cards in Portacabin. It is a two mile stroll from the airport to the end of Sandown pier or you can wander into Shanklin. Plenty of traditional British Seaside Attractions on offer in both towns.

Mike Cross
8th Jul 2010, 07:25
A horrible contrast to the days when they had to provide priority service to pilots due to the popularity with the locals of the exemplary hostelry that used to be there but burned to the ground.

Also no more oppurtinity to chat with Mary Ellis, an ATA pilot in the war who ran the pleasure flights.

"Mary, what's your favourite aircraft?"

"Mmmm..... Well, the Spitire was very nice, but I think I preferred the Wellington."

Miroku
8th Jul 2010, 18:49
Very many thanks to everyone for their comments.
As a result I shall be visiting Sandown in the next few weeks.