PDA

View Full Version : UK airlines hiring experienced pilots

Superpilot
6th Jul 2010, 21:45
A question for experienced (min 3000 hours) and rated pilots only. I would like to know if any has (or knows someone who is just as experienced and who has) been employed by a UK/Irish airline in the last 12 months?

Is exploitation of kiddy pilots the only thing UK/Irish airlines are interested in these days? Or is recruitment of seniors still taking place?

Thanks

hollingworthp
7th Jul 2010, 04:59
I THINK Ryanair absorbed some of the Globespan skippers.

Johnny F@rt Pants
7th Jul 2010, 08:04
Jet2.com recruited experienced Captains and F/O's for both the 737 and 757 fleets:ok::ok::ok:

no sponsor
7th Jul 2010, 08:19
And simultaneously made others redundant...:=

retrosgone
7th Jul 2010, 09:03
Jet2 made pilots redundant? I work here, and that's news to me! Where on earth did you get that from ???

no sponsor
7th Jul 2010, 09:27
It is true. STN based pilots.

PAPI-74
7th Jul 2010, 09:33
2900 TT TP (no jet TR) and not a whiff.

Why are they allowed to discriminate like this and just take on cadets?
I know that is is cheap labour, but come on - Flight Safety and fair play chaps !

Keep the kids at a small %age and have a good mix of experience.

jetglo
7th Jul 2010, 10:41
Yes - it's true and we lost some good cabin crew as well. Jet2 STN RIP.:(

Callsign Kilo
7th Jul 2010, 11:31
I THINK Ryanair absorbed some of the Globespan skippers.

True, 12 I believe. I've flown with a few - all good lads. Seems most have managed to be based where they need to be also.

Mr Angry from Purley
7th Jul 2010, 17:50
DHL AIR Leipzig based - mostly type rated 757 and contract pilots but a few non type pilots came in and just recently a couple of wannabies :\

757flyer
7th Jul 2010, 17:50
And what is the betting that Jet2 open a southern base next year BUT on the B757, my guess is PM didnt want to pay for pilots type ratings when there are so many rated drivers out there, therefore redundant STN B737 drivers, leave it a year then open a base and recruit B757 drivers.

Johnny F@rt Pants
7th Jul 2010, 21:39
There were indeed 2 Captains (job sharing)and one F/O who refused a move to another base when they were offered a couple of months earlier. There were then, unfortunately no positions available for them when the base closed. What's not been mentioned here is that they were transferred to Titan, so as far as I'm aware were never unemployed:ok::ok:

SEAMASTER
7th Jul 2010, 21:52
I heard we've asked experienced people from our holding pool for interview as well, only a rumour though !!.

SEAMASTER.

Coffin Corner
7th Jul 2010, 22:01
All good SEAMASTER, but who exactly is "our hold pool" ?

Jenson Button
8th Jul 2010, 09:07
Bmi regional have taken on a couple of experienced lads. Been doing interviews and if things pick up possibly take a few more.

Serenity
8th Jul 2010, 15:42
The Monarch page is on their website for info, they are not currently recruiting!!

SEAMASTER
8th Jul 2010, 19:45
Sorry guys, council van is correct with his assumption !!

tdk90
8th Jul 2010, 23:37
Are BMI interviewing Captains or just FOs?

FLYENG
9th Jul 2010, 07:57
Just F/O,S for interview, plenty assessed for command and waiting courses within the Company.

Mikehotel152
17th Jul 2010, 11:44
Is exploitation of kiddy pilots the only thing UK/Irish airlines are interested in these days?

Most of us started on 0 hours, Superpilot, but perhaps you were born with high levels of experience and ample modesty which should stand you in good stead at your next job interview.

There are people recruiting, as others have said.

Superpilot
18th Jul 2010, 06:58
No MikeHotel, even I wasn't born with a thousand hours and for your information I am a zero hours type rated pilot myself. The reason behind this thread was to gauge how many airlines other than EZY and RYR have a clear preference for newbie pilots. You would agree that in the last 12 months, both EZY and RYR have taken on far more low hours / fresh out of school pilots than experienced ones. This is exploitation (as these two are clearly ignoring the wealth of experienced pilots out there so they can get away with selling **** deals with no job security, no choice of base etc), hence my comment.

skyving
19th Jul 2010, 21:08
Johnny FP,
You said the Jet2 guys ended up at Titan, are Titan recruiting again ? Last time I sniffed they were making people redundant.

LowFareFinder
20th Jul 2010, 02:12
6 Flight Deck and about 16 cabin crew from STN no longer work for jet2. The guys who went to Titan (3 flight deck) had no choice, and it was completed after the redundancies from STN which took place between Feb-April - the transfer guys went in June, and were not permitted to take redundancy, but were transferred with the night mail operation under TUPE. The 3 were the ones who escaped the axe in April.

Everyone got shafted. Even Titan are appalled at how the STN guys were treated.

Mikehotel152
20th Jul 2010, 16:01
Superpilot - curious choice of phraseology then, but your point is reasonable. :oh:

RYR take DEC and cadets. As far as I can tell, they only take on DECs because there aren't enough FOs reaching upgrade.

PAPI-74
20th Jul 2010, 16:11
Well if they recruited a %age from all levels, they would have TP guys with a few thousand hrs ready for a Command once they have 500hrs on type.

An airline should have a mix of experience rather than freshly minced meat from the sauasage factory. :mad: 'em

Mikehotel152
20th Jul 2010, 19:21
An airline should have a mix of experience

Couldn't agree more.

mikehammer
20th Jul 2010, 20:59
An airline should have a mix of experience
Couldn't agree more.

I resemble that.

Boeingmann
23rd Jul 2010, 09:31
LowFareFinder, what do you mean by "were transferred with night mail operation under TUPE". The Jet2 night mail operation at STN-EDI and STN-NCL is fully operational. As far as I am aware ALL crews at STN were offered alternative base. Some have changed bases, some have left for other operators.

Callsign Kilo
23rd Jul 2010, 10:33
RYR take DEC and cadets. As far as I can tell, they only take on DECs because there aren't enough FOs reaching upgrade.

And the fact that many are failing (around 40%) and as you say, there is now a gap in experience due to ongoing cadet hire. There are quite a few command eligible FOs who have said sod it all and are heading to Emirates - possibly more to follow over the next year as EKs appetite is huge. Doesn't seem to bother them somehow? We are still 'officially' short on Captains (for the summer anyway). Also, not every DEC who gets on to an OCC course makes it either. A number are also dropped. Maybe policy will have to be readdressed, especially if skippers start saying cheery-by!