PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Tech Logs

bern444
6th Jul 2010, 16:04
I've been reading the ANO....and trying work out exactly what's required for a tech log. Article 27 (4) and (5) explain about keeping all the obvious records, which of course we do. But can anyone point me at a CAA description of "an approved record" (Article 27(3)). Does it have to be a little blue book from Pooleys with handwriting in it? Or could we print out and sign the information we put into our database after each flight?

Ta

Bernie

Dan the weegie
6th Jul 2010, 21:50
Hi,

This is a fairly grey area to be honest but there are several "tech logs" involved with an aircraft. The ones the CAA want to be in an "approved" log book is the Airframe and Engine logs, in addition to some of the timed tasks. As far as I know these cannot be stored electronically but can definitely (and are frequently) duplicated electronically, printed off and stuck in the log book.

The daily logs that we all call "tech logs" on the other hand are not so cut and dry, there are some basic requirements like the 'A' Checks must be signed for and the pre-flight checks must also be signed for. In addition to that any defect must be signed for and any rectification or deferrment of a defect must be signed for.

So because you need a signature creation of a database would fundementally replicate the work that has already been done. You end up duplicating absolutely everything and it ends up being totally useless as the data part of it gets ditched as soon as you're busy, how do I know? I've tried a few times and it got fairly messy.

You can either be computerised or paper in the same way as you're either IFR or VFR try to be both and it all goes horribly wrong ;). How you become computerised is another story ;)

As mad_jock mentions, we're 100% computerised having spent a significant effort on making it so (with the exception of the airframe/engine logs etc.), it's not something you'd want to do in house with out a lot of expertise on hand to make it work. Doing it externally is expensive, silly expensive :D but perhaps it's been done already? I don't want to say much more because of the advertising rules but if you're interested to know more then feel free to PM me with what you want to know and what you want to do.

Whopity
6th Jul 2010, 22:24
CAP520 used to contain an example Techlog but I see it was withdrawn last December. I have a PDF copy if you want one.

Dan the weegie
6th Jul 2010, 22:31
That would be useful to me whopity even if it wasn't for me :)
info[at]highlandaviation[dot]com ([email protected]) :)
Mark it FAO Danny

bern444
7th Jul 2010, 07:37
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'd appreciate a PFD please - to [email protected]

Thanks

B

A and C
7th Jul 2010, 07:37
It would seem that the diference between Aircraft/Engine/propeller log books and the Technical log is not fully understood by some.

The Technical log is used to record the day to day flying and maintenance of the aircraft, it should be kept with the aircraft and a copy of the page relating to the last flight and actions taken before the next flight left on the ground when the aircraft flys.

The aircraft log books (one for each airframe, engine & VP prop) should contain the life history of the airframe/engine/prop. details such as flying hours and maintenance are taken from the tech log and entered in the Log books. In practice the log books don't have all the maintenance records because these are held on maintenance job sheets by the maintenance company however the log book entrys must include reference to the job sheets and so are the centre point of the paper trail. Log books NEVER fly with the aircraft.

Technical logs are mandatory for AoC work and at one time those aircraft on the old CAA public transport C of A's. As you can see the documents that most flying clubs call a Technical log is no more than a "pumped up" journey log that is all that is required on private aircraft.

S-Works
7th Jul 2010, 08:36
The little blue pooleys journey log seems to serve the purpose quite nicely.

Whopity
7th Jul 2010, 09:49
As you can see the documents that most flying clubs call a Technical log is no more than a "pumped up" journey log that is all that is required on private aircraft.An aircraft used for hire in a Flying Club is required to have exactly the same Tech Log as an aircraft used on an AOC and to be maintained to the same standard according to the CAA Licensing Standards. With the demise of CAP520 there now appears to be no guidance on what is actually requited; no wonder there is confusion.

bern444
7th Jul 2010, 17:10
there now appears to be no guidance on what is actually requited; no wonder there is confusion.

Confusion - there's something new in aviation regulations! After I posted here, I emailed the CAA. If I get a result I'll pass it on.

B

A and C
7th Jul 2010, 21:33
I can't fault what you say but in reality a flying club technical log is never used as more than a pumped up journey log. Having worked for eight AOC holders and flown with lots of flying clubs I know what happens in the real world as apposed to what should happen!

Dan the weegie
7th Jul 2010, 22:52
Not always :) just mostly

BillieBob
8th Jul 2010, 09:02
Never mind, come the Brave New World flying clubs will have to introduce tech logs (and all sorts of other expensive cr@p)or they won't get approval. And guess who's going to pay for it all.

A and C
8th Jul 2010, 16:28
The brave new world has already reached the maintenance hangar, ten years ago we had one person who's workload was 100% paperwork and as chief engineer I spent about 80% of my time in the hangar & 10% on paperwork.

Now we have three people who do 100% paperwork and I spend 40% of my time in the hangar & 60% on paperwork.

The overburden of the paperwork is now reducing the time that the supervising staff have to inspect aircraft and oversee work............ in my opinion EASA has reduced safety NOT enhanced it while driving the costs up.