PDA

View Full Version : Redlands airfield, nr Swindon

VMC-on-top
6th Jul 2010, 14:21
Has anyone been into this microlight site in anything heavier than a microlight? I was planning a trip down to visit a mate based at Shrivenham in a PA28 perhaps late August / early September and from their website it seems they only appear to accept microlights but I can't reach anyone at the farm itself to find out?

stevelup
6th Jul 2010, 14:51
Hi

There is fierce nimbyism at Redlands (mainly from one single serial complainer) and as I understand it they have planning permission only for Microlights and the Antonov parachute drop aircraft - with everything else being explicitly disallowed.

Steve

A and C
6th Jul 2010, 14:57
If you can't get into Redlands you could try Membury.

stevelup
6th Jul 2010, 15:08
Draycott Farm is probably closer to Shrivenham. It's about 2 miles south of M4 J15

stevelup
6th Jul 2010, 15:44
Ah, probably. It's the Antonov AN2 that is mentioned in the planning document that's all:-

25 The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) has now taken over the certification of noise emissions of aircraft. The previous condition controlling the levels of noise of skydiving aircraft at Redlands involved a direct comparison with the Antonov AN2 aircraft originally used on the site. As there are no Antonov AN2 aircraft currently licensed by EASA and none ever likely to be so licensed, the condition has been updated to make it enforceable and prevent any aircraft using the site unless it has a current certification within the levels estimated to have been those of the Antonov previously employed.

4. No aircraft other than Microlight Aircraft (including self propelled hang gliders) and one light aircraft shall take off, land or otherwise be stationed on the site, the subject of this permission, unless otherwise agreed in writing by the Local Planning Authority. The light aircraft shall be currently certified by the European Aviation Safety Agency with a Type Certificate Data Sheet for Noise (TCDSN) showing a take off level of 87.8 dB or less.

Finals19
6th Jul 2010, 15:54
Chaps,

Its a GA8 Airvan that we use at Redlands. If you visit the website all necessary contact details are on there for further info.

My understanding is that only one group A type can be on the ground at any one time but I have no details on the noise certification levels.

:ok:

VMC-on-top
6th Jul 2010, 16:10
thanks. What about South Marston - is it active still?

dhc83driver
6th Jul 2010, 16:12
why not try sandhill farm in Shivenham, its run by the vale of white horse gliding centre,

Vale of White Horse Gliding Centre - News (http://swindongliding.co.uk/phpfusion/news.php)

PPR only. last time i was there they were aerotow only so no cable to worry about. Not a massive strip should be ok for a PA28 (not a Cherokee 140!)

dhc83driver
6th Jul 2010, 16:14
South marston is no more, its a test track and factory for Honda. The swindon gliding club moved to sandhill farm when Honda bought the site from Vickers.

VMC-on-top
6th Jul 2010, 20:33
Thanks - Sandhill Farm -thought it was dedicated gliders only? have you been in there?

stevelup
6th Jul 2010, 20:45
Website says no:-

Unfortunately planning regulations prevent us from accepting incoming power aircraft other than glider tugs.

Blink182
6th Jul 2010, 21:38
Both Draycott Farm and Lower Upham are not too far away

dhc83driver
7th Jul 2010, 10:37
not sure about any recent regulations but use to accept the odd aircraft ppr after a good brief, It use to be in lockyears farm strip guide.

Been in there a few times in various aircraft. I also use to be a member when i was flying gliders. Its a really nice friendly club with a few motorgliders based there as well.

They use to accept visiting light aircraft with grass strip experience. The only restrictions were you got a good briefing on the day and donated a landing fee to the coffee fund. and there was a sign in book so customs at brize could keep an eye on who was using the strip.

Not sure as to the current situation, could be a local nimby thing. Might be worth giving them a call for a one off