PDA

View Full Version : Flying Encounters of the Third Kind

A7E Driver
28th Aug 2001, 15:36
After 26 years of avoiding it like the plague, and repeating every tired joke that you have ever heard about it, I finally gave in this weekend and flew a helo for the first time.

Great fun --- although the controls are a bit counter-intuitive for a fixed wing pilot. If you haven't tried it yet, talk your wife out of a little retirement cash ( £200/hr -- ouch) and go up in one for an hour or two. You won't regret it. My hovering was "colourful" during the first flight, but I started to get the hang of it during my second 45 minute session (in an R22). Go for it.

It's not flying, it's beating the air into submission. ;-)

Regards

Vfrpilotpb
28th Aug 2001, 17:41
Hey Static,

Welcome to the club, for people who are able to call themselve's names and believe it, after all trying to hover or remain still in one place above and off the ground can be the most vexating thing I could ever think of, once you've got the hang of it, then start to have a bit of fun, did you come out of the Robbie in a sweat!
as some one else says on the Pprune, "to fly is Bliss, to Hover Divine"

Safe landings :D

poetpilot
28th Aug 2001, 18:17
I had a go a few years back in an Enstrom. I thought I'd have some advantage being a stick pilot rather than yoke, but was knocked out by the sensitivity of the beastie. Just about managed to keep a hover for about 30 seconds. The pilot also demonstrated an engine out procedure. That was interesting!

In moments of madness I think I'd like to spend the money and learn, then I keep thinking about all that mechanical gimmickry whizzing round above my head and common sense takes over......
h :eek:

A7E Driver
28th Aug 2001, 19:28
I'd be tempted to get the ticket --- but at almost 2000 FF / £200 / hr --- it costs a small fortune. I'm told fixed wing pilots can get the license in 40 hours whereas non-flyers take 45 (minimum).

Trying to think of how I could justify this to my wife ......

poetpilot
28th Aug 2001, 23:14
Just tell her how convenient it would be to drop in on friends, land on department store roofs, do those urgent little trips any time her car is being serviced........ I'm sure she'll realise how utterly commonsensical it would be..... after a month or two she would wonder how she ever managed without one....