PDA

View Full Version : 'Broadband' magazine Nov 2001

UKPPL
15th Nov 2001, 21:38
Hi,

....Words of caution about using this forum to express views on confidential/sensitive info.

To quote from this months' copy of 'Broadband' a UK pofessional media magazine.

' Charlotte Hume also cites PPRUNE as a fantastic source of gossip and insider information. you wouldn't write a story based on it but it might show you where to go or it might give you the information to ask the question of an expert you wouldn't have known about'

By the way I'm not UK press scum... I work for a living.

UKPPL

Mr Chips
15th Nov 2001, 22:02
Errmm, isn't the article sayin "god starting point, don't quote from it"

Seems okay to me...quite a compliment to the site

Capt PPRuNe
15th Nov 2001, 22:36
Errr... I would have though that Charlotte is taking a common sense view here:
...it might show you where to go or it might give you the information to ask the question of an expert you wouldn't have known about'

Precisely what we are trying to do is give informed opinion. We all know that there are some people on here who spout off opinion with very little actual knowledge of what they go on about but overall, the more informed and able amongst us are quite adept at pointing out the drivel and provide a more balanced view.

If someone from the media has the common sense to come here and ask a question then at least they are showing an attempt to find out more information. To just attack all media people is just small minded and is as welcome here as those media people who don't bother to report sensibly.

One thing we have always tried to do is provide people who can talk to the media and give them the best possible information from a source that is in the best position to provide it. It's not a perfect world and unless you can do a better job yourself then lay off those people who at least try to do their job properly.

UKPPL
16th Nov 2001, 01:30
Err.... Danny,

Wake up and smell the coffee mate!

I'm not attacking the professionalism of ALL UK media reporting, but the sad fact is that most aviation related, general UK media reporting is inaccurate, badly researched and un-educational - to put it politely.

You're right in saying that there are nowadays many good sources of aviation related information (including the web and places like PPRUNE). Which makes it so disapointing when you read or watch the average UK media drivel concerning aviation.

I know you've got to wear your Capt PPRUNE hat, but i think you are perhaps stetching it a bit too far here.

EG. It wasn't too long ago someone from a UK tabloid tried to phone up several UK owners of a particular type of aircraft, only hours after a fatal crash in UK. They were trying to get details on the crash and who was killed. Having got their address details from the CAA aircraft register website.

I don't know if you are married Danny but imagine your missus being called up mid Saturday afternoon, whilst having a cup of tea in the kitchen...

Phone rings -

Stranger....does your husband own a XXXX type of aircraft and do aerobatics?

Wife - err yes

Stranger...has he gone flying today?

Wife - yes

Stranger...Have you spoken with him this afternoon?

Wife - errr no, he's out flying. Can you tell me please why you want to know this info?

Stranger - Yes, there has been a fatal accident involving a XXXX aircraft, haven't you heard...?

Wife - errr..... silence.

- tactful, professional, errr ...NO.

Rather than reading my rantings anyway. Lets do a scientific test here. When the next UK aviation accident/event happens and it's reported in the UK media/press. We'll see what is widely reported and compare notes with the actual reality of the situation.

Sorry Danny but restraint and (a little) tact prevents me from saying what I really think of many of these 'people'.

Like most UK residents I love to read and watch factually acurate, educational and compelling media whether in print, visual, sound or electronic form. Lets hope there are some UK media Professionals out there who have the drive and integrity to give that level of content to aviation related matters.

All the best.

Self Loading Freight
16th Nov 2001, 01:35
Well, speaking as a fully paid-up member of the UK press scum -- who does work for a living, as you might have seen in the office at 10pm last night -- I think that's a very good way of looking at Pprune. Given the interminable sniping that press reports on aviation attract from certain quarters, isn't there a crying need for a discussion forum where journalists can learn more? What do you suggest would work better?

As for being careful about what you say, well of course. But any journo who doesn't apply filters to assess the reliability of a source isn't going to get far, and I keep a large bowl of crystalline sodium chloride close at hand when on Pprune. As elsewhere.

I've learned an enormous amount about the real business of flying on here. I sometimes use some of that when writing, and sometimes when discussing things with other journos. If you think it's better that I stay uninformed, then that's your choice... but I disagree.

R

Smoketoomuch
16th Nov 2001, 01:44
UKPPL wrote: "....Words of caution about using this forum to express views on confidential/sensitive info."

Everyone is aware its a public forum UKPPL. Ms Hume has posted here before and to her credit is open about her trade. I've crossed swords with her before, [well.. she didn't appreciate my joke] but if journos can improve the quality of their reporting, and public understanding, by visiting here, then it should be welcomed. At least ITN didn't make the howlers the Beeb did recently re; Concorde: "It has been fitted with fireproof tyres and all the fuel tanks have been bullet-proofed"... Huh?

UKPPL
16th Nov 2001, 02:33
SLF,

No problems, as per my earlier mail, if you genuinely want to report on aviation issues (or any news issues for that matter) by getting factually correct information and produce a genuinely informative piece of content, then good on you (and anyone else like you) however you've got to accept that large sectors of your industry have hardly a pedigree of doing this (see my example above, not so much on content but on behavior).

I better go and stick one of those 'Sun' stickers on the canopy of my Yak before I get any more flack :rolleyes: