PDA

View Full Version : Applying to NATS when I've done the training elsewhere?

RDD_Wings
5th Jul 2010, 14:01
I was wondering if anybody here knows if NATS lets you apply if you've done the ATC training elsewhere? I failed the OJT training but I still feel I have what it takes and that a lot had to do with issues at home which had me very depressed for a couple of months. I had a hard time focusing on the training and even though I was improving it wasn't moving forward as fast as they wanted. So again to my question, is it still possible to apply to NATS, and maybe explain my situation?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Jul 2010, 14:06
Presumably you hold an ATC Licenc with some ratings? I trained elsewhere but had a UK ATC Licence when I applied. I'm not sure how well your failure at OJT will go down but it's worth a try.

RDD_Wings
5th Jul 2010, 14:23
I have a valid student licence but it's not a uk licence, with ADI, APS and APP ratings. Yeah no doubt I'll give it a try! I was wondering if I should try to keep quiet about my failure, but somehow that doesn't feel right either, trying to hide it.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Jul 2010, 14:37
I strongly suspect that NATS would contact your previous employer any way..

Roadrunner Once
5th Jul 2010, 16:32
I don't know which country you have trained in, and whether it has only one ANSP, but in the UK there are lots of airports and smaller aerodromes which use ATS providers other than NATS, or do their own ATC 'in-house'. They are quite often happy to have applicants who already have ratings that they won't have to pay for. Even if you have been unsuccessful elsewhere, (although you would need to be able to convince them that you are capable of validating), it would be worthwhile trying these places. Good luck.

LEGAL TENDER
5th Jul 2010, 21:03
Presumably you hold an ATC Licenc with some ratings

what is an ATC Licenc? :8

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Jul 2010, 07:17
Sorry, I'm an aged man and sometimes my spelling isn't up to scratch.

chevvron
6th Jul 2010, 12:09
If you have a licence issued by an authority other than the UK CAA, you will need to undertake an Assessment of Prior Competence (APC) at an approved ATS College to get it recognised.

rok87
12th Jul 2010, 12:03
If you have a licence issued by an authority other than the UK CAA, you will need to undertake an Assessment of Prior Competence (APC) at an approved ATS College to get it recognised.

Hi!

I have an ATC license (ADV) from a different European country. I have applied with NATS and had my stage one tests 10 days ago. I was successful and was invited back for stage 2 tests. But there was no talk about any Assessment of Prior Competence, although I have informed Nats about my valid ATC license. Does his mean that even if I am successful a tests I will have to take this assessment? That isnt logical:) Or does it mean that if I take this assessment I can skip the tests and proceed directly to the training? That would be too good to be true:D

samotnik
12th Jul 2010, 15:27
rok87, it's probably because you have an ADV rating only, which is, as I presume, totally useless for NATS. ADI would be better.

rok87
12th Jul 2010, 19:51
Samotnik: I know:( Having an ADV rating is what is "killing" me when looking for a position in Europe...But I have successfully passed the FEAST tests, the abinitio training and have also done the simulator training for both the visual and instrumental aerodrome controller. I just had the bad luck of being posted on a small military aerodrome and not a "normal" one...
So I have done the ADI training and my student license was also an ADI type. I`ve read on this forum that people that hold a valid student license are being recommended to try their luck on different aerodromes around the UK that are not managed by NATS. So if I fail the Nats selection tests, I could try to get a position on one of these aerodromes? And if somebody could tell me which aerodromes are the ones I should be contacting as I`m guessing that Heatrow, Stansted, Gatwick,.. are managed by NATS.

Thank you very much,

Rok

mingmongaloo
15th Jul 2010, 17:39
Belfast City (not international) isn't NATS but they do all their ATC recruitment inhouse.