PDA

View Full Version : Anyone for a Microlight Fly in 2011

Oldsarbouy
5th Jul 2010, 12:30
Fancy somewhere different and challenging? I am doing preliminary ground work to see if there is any interest in a Microlight Fly in next year. The venue would be Shempston, a private airstrip alongside RAF Lossiemouth in Moray, Scotland and there is plenty of room for any number of aircraft. Shempston is home to a Tiger Moth, a Jodel and a Piper Cub and has two runways at right angles to one another. There is also scope for other activities including off road and quad bikes. Date is yet to be decided and obviously weather is a big factor. The following grid is the centre of the main runway 57 41 46.42N 003 21 59.32W and Shempstons post code is IV30 5RJ.

Jan Olieslagers
5th Jul 2010, 12:40
Sounds tempting - but from the continent it is a long and complicated way to fly. I am afraid I might find it all too expensive. Also, if poor weather prohibits the home flight, things could get _very_ complicated.

Barshifter
5th Jul 2010, 15:58
Have you booked the weather for your fly-in oop north

Jan Olieslagers
5th Jul 2010, 17:18
That's a non-issue, Barshifter. Weather cannot be booked anywhere in Western Europe. Organisers waiting for guaranteed fair meteo's will never organise anything. And I do not think Morayshire should be worse than any other place.
OTOH we must admit that weather is more critical to ultralights than to the average Cessna or Piper. Couple of weeks ago I cancelled my flight to the EBBT fly-in due to strong winds - you will imagine my regret, I drove there, instead - PPL'ers were all there, but very few ULM's.