PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about Fuji HA200s?? (+JAA Biannual)

ianbishop
28th Aug 2001, 11:03
I've recently been given a chance to join a group operating out of Perth operating a Fuji HA200-160. From what I can tell (from other friends who are older / wiser than me), this is rated as a good 4-up tourer aircraft with no vices.

Anyone know any different??

PS Just did my first JAA bi-annual renewal at Glenrothes - anyone who's worried about the hours instructional ride shouldn't be. It was a good practical revision session, sensibly handled by my instructor. Email me if more details required.

poetpilot
28th Aug 2001, 11:40
I flew one of these for an hour back in the early 80s, in the Netherlands. From what I remember, it's smooth, performs well and has no vices. It's also aerobatic (though not, I suspect, with 4 up). I seem to recall that we did stalls and spins 2 up and that everything was perfectly conventional.

And it's different in looks to the PiperCessnas that abound, but will have a standard engine that any licenced engineer can maintain easily enough.

The only bad news I have heard about them was when a group who operated one at Barton had a lot of corrosion problems and essentially had to get the thing rebuilt. It's no longer at Barton now - I wonder if it's "your" machine?

May be worth checking to see if there is any history of corrosion with this one, also whether its been kept outside (as was the Barton one) or inside.

Might be worth checking around to see if there's an owners/users club - may be good in terms of assessing airframe spares availability.............

ianbishop
28th Aug 2001, 12:07
Thanks for the rapid response, poetpilot!

It's going to be owned and operated by the Sports and Social Club of an organisation of HMs finest suit wearers, so I hopefully won't have to have pockets that are too deep (especially as I've still got a share in a PA28 at Bournemouth!). It's just going through a PT CofA @ Old Sarum - the piccie I've seen of it shows a reg G-KARI (which I like a lot!), although not sure if that's being kept - no indication that it's changing.

I might have to do an aeros course, then, just to scare the wife (who still hasn't forgiven me for demonstrating a gentle power-off stall recovery to her, just so that she wouldn't panic in the event of an inadvertent one!!!). ;-)))

Fuji Abound
28th Aug 2001, 12:17
There is only one definitive Fuji web!!
http://www.clarke-walker.com/Fuji%20main%20page.htm

for news, views, aeros, pics. etc.

If you need more info. on the type you are welcome to e-mail me.

New Bloke
28th Aug 2001, 13:52
A very nice Aeroplane to fly.

BE AWARE
Make sure all of the A/Ds are done, there is a Fuji A/D out there at the moment to inspect the undercarridge legs. If they are out of limits the replacement ones cost about £20k for each leg. So you could have a bill of £60k for a machine worth about £30k/£40k

Edited to add this
http://www.fujigroup.flyer.co.uk/

another good fuji site

[ 28 August 2001: Message edited by: New Bloke ]

skua
28th Aug 2001, 14:23
I was in a group with a Fuji a few years back. I would add:
1. It is a long and large aircraft for 160 hp. Built like a brick s***house. Therefore quite heavy, and
2. slow (80-85kts cruise)
3. aeros only with 2 up, but has a yoke. Aeros with a yoke is like making love with your trousers on. Possible but not right.
4. aeros probably easier in the 180hp version with a c/s prop.
5. Spares support from Japan was crap - e.g. waiting three months for them to manufacture a new flap bracket because there were no residual stocks.

ianbishop
8th Nov 2001, 12:39
Just to bring this back up to the top!

Last Sat (3 Nov), I finally got to fly the Fuji. It IS built like a steel poo house, but it's a nice stable aircraft to fly. Not much excess of grunt from the engine and takes off / lands in a very flat attitude. Prop to ground clearance is very limited, but the roll rate is incredible - had great fun with that! Practised a few PFLs / glide approaches and it glides like a weighted brick!!

Could certainly catch you out when the chuggalug goes phut!

Fuji Abound
8th Nov 2001, 20:07
Glad you joined the group. I hope you have a great deal of fun with the Fuji. Just for the record of others who may be interested in this posting there are two variants of the Fuji, one with a 160 and the other with a 180 Lycoming donkey, the latter with a VP prop option. The performance with the 180 is obviously better and the VP makes aeros a bit easier.

This particular example at Perth is in lovely condition. We will keep an eye out for you!

[ 08 November 2001: Message edited by: Fuji Abound ]