PDA

View Full Version : Foreign ATCO in France

SweAtCO
5th Jul 2010, 06:34
Hello everybody!

I've been reading the forums here for some time and it seems like a lot of people with good insight hang out here.

My question to anyone who might be able to answer it is wheter or not it is possible for foreigners to work as ATCO:s in france or if there is a french citizen obligation connected with the job?

14SIX785
5th Jul 2010, 06:42
I didn't think they did any work over there - spend most of their lives on strike don't they ??!! ;)

Farrell
5th Jul 2010, 10:53
wheter or not it is possible for foreigners to work as ATCO:s in france

The answer is no....well, actually the answer is Non!

You are simply not good enough.

If they let you into their inner sanctum it would end your career as they tell me that the sight of air traffic management perfection in human form could actually burn the eyes clean out of your head, rendering you even more useless than before you arrived there.

It takes an individual of exceptional breeding, character and mental agility to be an ATCO in France.
Something that you could only ever aspire to, but sadly never attain.

I feel sorry for you, because you are so ignorant of your place in the world of air navigation service provision.

I can only sigh in pity.

Some goals are achievable - others...just pipe-dreams.
Let it go.

SINGAPURCANAC
5th Jul 2010, 11:08
wheter or not it is possible for foreigners to work as ATCO
More than possible.:}
but the only real problem is that you must accept as the first unit, let's call it "transition unit",some of these solutions:
-tahiti twr/app/acc
-Bora Bora twr:ugh:
also you must obey to their standard contracts for such units,full rated salary,plus overseas allowances and 24 hours /weekly working time.:{
At the top of these strong requirements you must know English language,and if you know basic french it is advance,not hard requirement. ;)

after 5 or ten years at such dummy locations you will be given opportunity to apply for job at Perpigno,where you will work until late retirement at 45 years,or 20 years working experience whichever is earlier. :mad:

as you can see,it so easy,so you could meet thousand and thousands expat atcos,sending their CV,to appropriate french institution.
And they read each of these CVs carefully. :}

:E:E:E

Haut Marbuzet
5th Jul 2010, 15:47
if there is a french citizen obligation connected with the job?

Only EU citizenship is required.

SweAtCO
10th Jul 2010, 07:49
Haut Marbuzet, ok and are there currently any foreigners working in France? Do you know where one would apply?

Haut Marbuzet
10th Jul 2010, 17:12
One guy from the UK managed to get through the selection process and became student ATCO at the ENAC (French national school) last year.

Few vacancies for student ATCO last year. Nearly impossible to get in because it is really competitive.

I only heared rumours about foreign licenced ATCO recruitments so far. Don't expect much and really take great caution about positions offered if you want to apply. You obviously need to be fluent in french to work here...

Good luck.

lafouine
10th Jan 2011, 11:34
Hi all, I'm French, I tried ENAC's tests twice, unfortunately failed.

I went to the UK and passed their tests and I'm currently on a Basic Training Course, and will have a Tower Course (ADI) following.
If successful to my courses I'd like to come back with my student lisence to France.

Will it be possible somehow for me to join ENAC without having to try again their "concours" or with DGAC to take in consideration my UK Student license and validate somewhere in France??

Thanks everyone in advance for taking my case into account.

Lafouine

chiglet
10th Jan 2011, 23:26
I always thought that the ATCOs in France were foreign :ok:

Vortex Issues
11th Jan 2011, 05:38
I went to the UK and passed their tests and I'm currently on a Basic Training Course, and will have a Tower Course (ADI) following.
If successful to my courses I'd like to come back with my student lisence to France.

Just a quick question. Which company are you doing the Basic Course with?

galaxy flyer
11th Jan 2011, 07:27
There was, at least, one Yank from Omaha at Bourdeaux Control. So, it is possible.

GF

BrATCO
12th Jan 2011, 06:58
I had an Algerian and a Tunisian colleague, back in time (TWR/APP).
Their roster and pay were same as mine, even though their contract was different : they couldn't ask to move.
They eventually got a "usual" French ATCO contract, in order to have a possibility to move to an ACC or another TWR.

Edit : As French controllers are initially trained for Twr, App and Acc, they had to train and pass the exams before they could get the new contract. Took them several years, but they did it.

ATC Watcher
12th Jan 2011, 08:12
Unless there was a revolution occurred which I missed in the last few years ( which is possible, I do not follow the "Journal oficiel" anymore) Controllers in France were part of the Public service, cat. "A" ( Ingenieurs) and to be a Cat. "A" French civil servant you have to have the French nationality. Some people recently put France to court arguing that according EU laws ( which superseed national law) all EU nationalities should now be equal. So everyone could apply to any post in theory. Don't know if that court case has ended.

As to the Yank, Tunisians Algerians working, I was told those (about o,1% or 0,2% of the total ?) are all bi-nationals.
But again this might be no longer correct.

Nock
12th Jan 2011, 08:24
@ATC Watcher
In my opinion you're completely right, the bi-nationality is the only means to become a "foreign" ATCO in France.

regards
Nock

lafouine
12th Jan 2011, 11:16
Hi again,

Thanks to everyone that replied,
My main concern is that of having or NOT to pass ENAC's tests involving maths physiques and so forth which is quiet different than everywhere else where aptitude tests are done...

The question still remains could I with a UK student license ( or UK "stagiaire" license) find an airport to validate in France? and How do I proceed into looking for jobs? (sending CVs...??)

Regards

Nock
12th Jan 2011, 12:30
My opinion about this subject:

To control on "major" airports or ACC, you have to become an ICNA:
see Décret n°90-998 du 8 novembre 1990 Décret portant statut du corps des ingénieurs du contrôle de la navigation aérienne which says:
"Peuvent seuls exercer leurs fonctions dans les organismes mentionnés au 1° du a de l'article 3 les ingénieurs du contrôle de la navigation aérienne détenant la licence de contrôleur de la circulation aérienne, assortie d'une qualification de contrôle d'approche ou de contrôle régional."

So to become an ICNA you have to go through some ENAC tests (there are different depending on you beeing an TSEEAC or part of french civil aviation). But in no way, it's possible for you to go and find an airport that will validate you.

I may be wrong and if so please tell me how but I really don't see how you can deal otherwise.

Nock

mana
12th Jan 2011, 12:33
@Lafouine : call SDRH DGAC and ask them how to start the "RUE" process (Ressortissants de l'Union Européenne).
European ATCOs with TWR rating only should be offered a position in a group F or G Tower.
European ATCOs with all the ratings should be offered a position in a group A, B ,C,D or E (TWR/APP combined or ACC).

Contribution et analyse sur les recrutements des ressortissants de l'Union Européenne | Premier syndicat de l'Aviation Civile (http://www.usac-cgt.org/contribution-et-analyse-sur-recrutements-ressortissants-de-lunion-europ%C3%A9enne)