PDA

View Full Version : Northflight Aviation Aberdeen

NorthSouth
4th Jul 2010, 16:44
Interesting and encouraging to see a flying school re-established at Aberdeen - Northflight Aviation, apparently with two Warriors.

Does anyone know anything about them, who's behind them etc?

NS

niknak
4th Jul 2010, 20:03
Basic company details for NORTHFLIGHT AVIATION LTD:
Registered no: SC370395
Registered office: 11 Ashwood Circle
Bridge Of Don
Aberdeen
Aberdeen City AB22 8XU
Incorporated: 21 Dec 2009

There's something that's rattling the cobwebs in the recesses of my cranium which says I've come across these guys before, but I can't for the life of me think was it is, consequently it would be unfair to name names or say anything else.

kui2324
4th Jul 2010, 20:17
These guys? It's just one guy - Bill Anderson operates as Northflight Aviation.

Those who know flying training in Aberdeen know he has been around for a long while both as an instructor and examiner.

He has the use of two Warriors based in Aberdeen.

It is great to see that GA is hanging on in at Aberdeen - we can do with fresh blood!

NorthSouth
4th Jul 2010, 21:09
It's just one guy - Bill AndersonI'll say this for Bill, he's capable of many things, but if he's flying two Warriors at once he's clearly learned some new skills :)

Good to see training re-established at EGPD though and even better to see it in well-kent hands.

NS

Scottishflyer182
4th Jul 2010, 21:58
Hi, do any of you know what the latest charges are for flying into aberdeen and staying overnight? Has Northflight managed to make Aberdeen more GA friendly? Last time I enquired I was bascially told that it was not GA compatable. Due to the high volume of traffic from the North Sea.

Cheers

Slopey
4th Jul 2010, 23:17
Northflight has nothing to do with Signature who will likely relieve you of a large amount of cash for handling/parking. However, best plan would be to call them and ask (01224 723636) - I'm not aware of the current rates.

Getting in is no problem, the controllers do a great job of fitting in GA (such as it is there) around all the commercial ops, but do try to avoid departing when it's busy on the pax side otherwise you might be at the hold for 30/40 mins!

Bill's a great chap, I'm doing my IMC with him out of Aberdeen in the very near future.

dont overfil
5th Jul 2010, 09:21
Is he the same Bill Anderson who used to fly from Dundee?
DO.

Slopey
5th Jul 2010, 13:59
I'm pretty sure he was down at Tayside for a while, don't quote me on that, but I think you're correct.

garrygaz
5th Jul 2010, 20:18
Northflight has no influence on visiting aircraft charges. Aberdeen is definitely not GA friendly, a formal flight plan has to be filed for all movements; although to be fair, Signature will assist with it; but then you are paying them for the service. Even Mr. A has to file for each flight.

papa600
6th Jul 2010, 07:59
GG thats not quite true to be fair - filing a plan is not mandatory for GA movements into and out of EGPD.

For those flying out of ABZ who have recently become acquainted with AFPEX it really is pretty straighforward to file a plan and there is even an abbreviated version allowing you to depart / enter the zone without all the additional info required for a regular plan.

ATC have been terriffic in accomodating local GA to these changes and have stressed on more than one occasion that filing a plan is not mandatory but desireable. They have also been at pains to stress that it is not their intention to discourage GA by encouraging the use of AFPEX but to have as far as practical GA pilots use the tools at their disposal for a safe and efficient flight to / from EGPD.

As for visiting pilots not familiar with AFPEX a telephone call / radio call will still give the desired result and response.

As a final comment - assistance with filing a plan from Signature would be restricted to the use of a PC with internet access. They cannot give training / guidance in completing the plan - that is the responsibility of the PIC.

david michael
19th Jul 2010, 11:10
Well all the info is at Home (http://www.northflightaviation.co.uk/)

From what I understand this guy has a good reputation and its great that we can build a GA community in the area. Buy the way for any Pilots wanting equipment. I came across some thing last week. If you type in 'Pooleys' in the promo code box on www.pooleys.com (http://www.pooleys.com) you get a discount! I dont know how long it will be working for? But is was great when I ordered my charts last week!;)

Unusual Attitude
19th Jul 2010, 21:01
Bill is an excellent instructor and has been flying forever, Aberdeen has unfortunately become far less accomodating for GA over the years but hats off to most of the ATC'ers who do their best to look after us! Signature charges for visiting aircraft are extortionate however...

I'm actually selling my share in an Aberdeen based C172 if anyone is interested (much more affordable than renting!), I do most of my flying from Perth now so would rather someone else got some use out of it, advert is on AFORS.

Regards

UA

p1andy
20th Jul 2010, 15:56
Im from Aberdeen and am currently learning to fly out of Dundee.

Im not sure if it would be worth moving flying clubs due to the stage im at. Currently im doing circuits which could get expensive at ABZ with £20 per landing. Dundee's price is inclusive of the landings.

That said maybe later i will move clubs to ABZ or if Northflight do decent discount for block bookings id look into it.

gasax
20th Jul 2010, 20:22
So what used to be a 20 second phonecall and has now turned into the usual inconvenient, poorly designed and badly error trapped aeronautical IT application is "accomodating"???????? - vested interest???

kui2324
20th Jul 2010, 23:31
p1andy - certainly one of the warriors is probably more cost efficient to be hired directly from it's owner. Welcome To Cabro Aviation Ltd (http://www.cabroaviation.co.uk)

Bill doesn't own either of the Warriors but leases them from the owners when he requires their use. Although I believe the other Warrior has relocated to Longside, Peterhead for the time being due to a shortage of parking at Signature.

papa600
21st Jul 2010, 09:14
GASAX - absolutely not. I too prefer a 20 second phone call but can appreciate why they would prefer us to use AFPEX and if thats a requirement of ATC at ABZ and we want to fly out of there then so be it.

Having said that ATC will as of now give you a telephone book out as before if thats what you want to do. Try it - they do and have no problem with it. There is NO mandate to file a plan but if you fly out of ABZ and thats what ATC would like then why not?

Once you have started using the AFPEX system filing a plan is less than three minutes.

In fact you can make up templates so that all you are changing are DOF and time of departure. It really is that simple.

p1andy
21st Jul 2010, 13:59
Yeah id like to relocate my training to ABZ but im not sure if it is financially a good idea at the minute. £20 per landing will soon mount up during circuits.

I do 10 hour blocks at Dundee which works out at £150/lesson plus £23 train fare for every two lessons. All landing fees etc are included there.