PDA

View Full Version : Renewing a lapsed IMC

LowNSlow
27th Aug 2001, 18:02
Now that I have an aeroplane with more clocks than wings I've started to think about renewing my 5 years lapsed IMC.

Can I just saunter into a club and get on with it or does the excrement / airconditioning interface known as CAA / JAA get in the way?

DOC.400
27th Aug 2001, 20:35
Hiya LownSlow. You just gotta redo the flying exam, then you're 'current' for 23 months again.

You got FM immune Nav and glideslope then? Mines lapsed coz I can only fly IMC in FIR -not a lot of good if u want to do a leagl approach!!

If u want a safety pilot for practice and you're in the south, let me know!!

BEagle
27th Aug 2001, 20:54
If an IMC Rating has expired by more than 5 years, you will need to complete 'training at CFI's discretion' and then fly a full IMC Rating Test with an Examiner such as a UK/FE(PPL). Your form FCL 99 (that's the one used for the test) and logbook will then need to be sent to those awfully nice chaps in the Belgrano who will put the Rating back onto your licence; I think that the fee would be £64.

But if it's less than 5 years expired, you merely need to revalidate it by flying the revalidation test with an Examiner; assuming you passed, the Examiner would sign your Rating page there and then - nothing would need to be sent to the CAA.

Once your IMC Rating heas been renewed or revalidated, it's valid for 25 months. But to fly under IFR in the UK FIR, you do indeed need to have FM-immune VHF navigation equipment.

[ 27 August 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

Aeropig1
27th Aug 2001, 20:57
Doc, i think you'll find the validity is still 25 months not 23. Thats acording to the CAA stuff I have here. Don't wish to be pedantic just fell across the stuff by chance.

DOC.400
29th Aug 2001, 11:30
You're absolutely right AP1 -just testing!!

Bouncy Landing
30th Aug 2001, 19:53
Mine has lapsed by more than 5 years, CAA say I have to retake ground IMC exams as well as "training at CFI discretion...." and flight test.

LowNSlow
11th Sep 2001, 00:28
Thanks for the advice all.

I've just checked the actual dates on the rating and I last passed the test on 18-06-94 so that means it expired on 18-07-96. Rats, missed the 5-year ruling by a couple of months. Prat.

Never mind, I did't want to shell out for FM immune radios anyway....

jayemm
12th Sep 2001, 21:47
I've had my IMC just over a year. I've flown in IMC quite a bit, but haven't done a single instrument landing. What effect does this have on a standard 25 month renewal? Is there any rule about the number of instrument landings you perform etc?

Even though I wouldn't want to do one without a refresher from an instructor, I'm curious about 'the rules'.

Yogi-Bear
13th Sep 2001, 12:06
There are no 'requirements'. You simply have to be able to pass the renewal. How you achieve that is up to you. Isn't that responsibility a refreshing change? :)
Please don't start talking about 'the rules'. The IMC rating seems to be the one thing that the JAA didn't get their hands on to ruin and make un-economic for private flyers by imposing re-currency 'rules'. :eek:
If they did, there wouldn't be much left in the flying budget for actually going anywhere. :(

[ 13 September 2001: Message edited by: Yogi-Bear ]

RodgerF
14th Sep 2001, 19:38
There are some 'requirements' I hesitate to call them rules for the IMC revalidation. During the 25 month period you should have carried out a pilot-interpreted approach to the satisfaction of an instructor qualified to teach applied I/F. This should be signed for in your log book. Then on the renewal test you would be expected to undertake a different pilot-interpreted approach. However if you haven't done a supervised approach in the 25 month period then the examiner will ask to see two pilot-interpreted approaches.

Yogi-Bear
15th Sep 2001, 18:51
Sorry, if I've given a bum steer. Looks like the CAA got there before the JAA ;) ; although I have never done a supervised approach in between renewals. :confused:

Airprox
21st Sep 2001, 03:01
If any one needs an examiner send me a email.
It'll be fun, honest. :confused: