PDA

View Full Version : Self improver instrument rating

Fuji Abound
27th Aug 2001, 11:47
Spoke to the CAA and was told the hour building route to an instrument rating is still available until late 2002. I gather this requires the candidate to have 600 hours. Does anyone have experience of this route?

Fujitsu
27th Aug 2001, 13:00
I wonder which exams you would take and how you would study for them. I thought the last sittings were to be in November 2001. With PPSC now closed I don't know who could offer the tuition for the old CAA IR. I can't think of anyone who currently offers distance learning even for the JAA IR.

The man formerly known as
27th Aug 2001, 15:28
The non approved IR is still available but you have to pass it by June 30 2002.

As for the exams you will need to already hold UK IR exams(or CPL/ATPL) exams. If you didn't get these by june 30 2001 you need to do the JAR exams. I don't know if JAR do a PPL IR course.

The best people to ask are the CAA. Call them up, they'll tell you.

Good luck

Cahlibahn
27th Aug 2001, 15:44
I'd be interested to learn what the CAA say. As far as I can tell there is no way to gain a JAR PPL IR at the moment.
http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000788

TheSilverFox
27th Aug 2001, 17:21
Fuji Abound.

My understanding is that YOU CAN still obtain an Instrument rating via the old "Non Approved" route.

The 600 hours to start & 700 hrs to prior to application still apply.

The difference is as follows:- This route was formerly only available to candidates who had passed the CAA written exams.
It has now been extended to candidates who have passed the JAA writtens!

You can of course get confirmation of this from the "Belgrano", but I'm pretty sure that this is now the case.

Good luck with your I/R -"Keep the scan going"

Fujitsu
28th Aug 2001, 00:37
It may (Or may not) have been extended, but I don't know of any training provider who is providing the ground school for the IR alone. I'd be really happy to be wrong.

Fuji Abound
28th Aug 2001, 00:53
Well, I spoke to the CAA and contributors views are spot on - apparently you either should have passed the old CAA CPL exams. or now the JAR exams. Either do fine apparently. I was interested in anyone who has gone this route historically - I know in theory no training is required prior to the IR flight test BUT what training have candidates actually done and was it adequate?

TheSilverFox
28th Aug 2001, 01:36
Fuji Abound

I teach the I/R both approved & Non Approved.

I believe that LGU can provide you with the I/R element of the JAA theoretical training.

As for how long it takes, it's a little like the preverbial peice of string.

Remember, you will have to have 600 hours prior to starting the flight training, in my experience the type of hours that you have aquired will make a difference in the speed at which you progress ie. ex military/Instructor/just flying off hours for the hell of it in a 152 somewhere.

You will have to pass a 170A flight test prior to your CAAFU test. No instructor worth his salt will put you forward for your 170A if you are not ready for it.

Do you have an IMC rating? It's not a requirement, but if you do at least you can build some of your hours flying IFR (in uncontrolled airspace).

Use your hours building time wisely!!

Good luck!

The Fox.

[ 27 August 2001: Message edited by: TheSilverFox ]

Fuji Abound
28th Aug 2001, 12:36
TheSilverFox. Thank you for your very helpful reply. I do have an IMC and nearly the required hours. Any more info on exactly how the non approved IR operates in terms of training and the flight test(s) - I didnt realise there was more than one! would be appreciated. Any recommendations on training in the SE also appreciated.