PDA

View Full Version : Dinard, Dinan & Saint Brieuc

Vone Rotate
3rd Jul 2010, 22:10
Evening all,

I'm looking to fly into one of the above soon.

My French flying experience goes as far as L2K and as much as I love the place the in-laws have just brought a pad in a small town called collinee in the area of Dinard, Dinan & Saint Brieuc.

I have had a look on the French NAT's type site with all the aerodrome charts etc.

What I'm after is some advice from people who have flown into any of the 3 above. I'm also unsure if I can fly direct to Dinan from the UK? The other two are fine I'm sure being international.

Also which are the best French charts to get?

I would be looking for parking for say 3 days too if anyone can comment on parking and landing fee's etc.

I applicate all your responses before they arrive as you can only make a limited decision based official material.....

Cheers people :ok:

Thoroughly Nice Bloke...
4th Jul 2010, 08:10
I haven’t been to Dinan but fly to Dinard and St Brieuc regularly, Dinard (like many other places) used to be a pleasure to visit but unfortunately the bureaucratic crap that is sweeping through Europe reached there a while ago at roughly the same time as Ryan Air…! Having said that it’s easy to find and has an ILS just make sure you don’t land or plan to depart at the same time as Ryan Air because every thing stops for them…!

St Brieac is a much nicer place to be, again it has an ILS and is easy to find, the tower is not always manned and you will normally talk to Rennes Approach until you become visual, it is really laid back and friendly just like things used to be…!

At both places everyone speaks English, I tend to file my return flight plan in the UK at the same time as the outbound for simplicity, and use Jersey or Guernsey for fuel.

St Brieuc now requires Prior Notice:

Douanes, Police / Customs, Police : PN 24 HR 02 96 33 13 83 / FAX : 02 96 62 30 84
E-mail : [email protected]

If you have any specific questions please feel free to pm them.

rgsaero
4th Jul 2010, 19:53
Dinan has no customs facility so you have to go somewhere else first. Where that might be depends entirely on why you are going!

As the previous poster says Dinard used to be great but Ryanair's demands stuffed that, Nonetheless, the town's nice....

St Brieuc aerodrome is OK for arrival etc but the town? Don't bother, soulless and split by a busy road and no charm.

Nicest place? Dinan and perhaps go via Cherbourg for customs.....

rgsaero

BEagle
4th Jul 2010, 20:36
Dinan is utterly delightful. Well worth clearing customs elsewhere just for the pleasure of the aerodrome and the charming little town.

Vone Rotate
4th Jul 2010, 20:53
When I searched this fourm before posting I did find a quote saying Dinan is open to international traffic with 24hrs notice.

Is that not the case? Dinan looks lovely...

smitn05
5th Jul 2010, 18:15
Dinan would be my choice, even if you needed to stop and clear customs at Dinard first.

Its truely a wonderful little place,and the walk to the town is equally stunning. Dont expect a great deal of english to be heard on the radio, last time we were there the locals were most bemused by a G-reg turning up ... .although to be fair that was a few years ago now .

J'estime votre terrain verticale at temp trente et une etc etc, the only problem is when they reply to you hehehehe

Whopity
6th Jul 2010, 06:16
I regularly used to fly to Dinan, but as already said no customs so route via a customs airfield. I usually used Cherbourg on the way in and Dinard on the way out. Contact the Aeroclub at Dinan before your visit. There used to be a nice restaurant on the airfield at Dinan and its ideal for a nightstop in Medieval Dinan town. Highly recommended.

300hrWannaB
16th Mar 2016, 22:55
Is there still a restaurant at Dinan?
It's years since I went.

patowalker
17th Mar 2016, 22:02
When I searched this fourm before posting I did find a quote saying Dinan is open to international traffic with 24hrs notice.

Is that not the case? Dinan looks lovely...

No customs at Dinan.

Was there last May. The landing fee was €5 and aircraft parking for two days was free. Dinan is a great destination.