PDA

View Full Version : GFT Advice

bcfc
6th Jul 2001, 20:47
Just a few days away from my GFT.

Does anyone have a list of the precise things they test you on? (I have an idea but is there a check list instructors work off like a driving test). Do instructors work to a set pattern, i.e., a/d departure, nav bit, airwork, emergencies, etc?
I understnad there is a booklet giving advice from the CAA but that it's not much cop. What I'd really like is if anyone knows of a site where people have published their UK GFT experiences? I've found loads of US ones but it ain't the same.

Cheers.

Final 3 Greens
6th Jul 2001, 21:33
bcfc

Its been a few years since i did a gft, but you are certain to be asked to stall or two and do a pfl (and steep turns too), as well as some circuit work (likely to include a flapless approach and landing.)

When asked to stall, remember your HASELL check - my examiner asked me to stall over a power station at 2500' I respectfully declined!

On the PFL, just do your best to "get in" to the field, control your glide airspeed tightly (BURN the number into your brain!) and fly as accurately and smoothly as you can.

The same with the steep turns and circuits.

And most important of all .... they are not expect you to be a Concorde pilot, just looking to ensure that you are safe to enjoy your PPL.

Best of luck and the GFT really isn't anything to worry about - you've already made the grade in your lessons, or they wouldn't be putting you up for the test, so just relax and fly to your normal standard.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

F3G

BlueLine
7th Jul 2001, 03:38
The CAA produce Standards Document 19 "Notes for the Guidance of Applicants taking the Skill Test for the PPL(A). This tells you precisely what the Skill Test entails and includes the Skill Test report form listing all the pass fail items.

FNG
7th Jul 2001, 18:30
Try searching this forum for threads in the last 90 days or so: there have been a couple of recent threads on the Skill test

Good luck.

Lawyerboy
9th Jul 2001, 12:50
Not sure how accurate it is, but if you either have or can get hold of a copy of Trevor Thom's Flying Training manual take a peek at the back - there's an example test sheet for a GFT with a list of all the items you're likely to be tested on.

Mariner9
9th Jul 2001, 13:30
In addition to the points already mentioned....
You'll have to do a weight & balance calc, & plan a X country before you go. You'll be expected to fly your plan accurately, and will be given an alternate destination at some point so be ready to estimate courses & distances from your chart while flying.

Good luck, & don't forget to enjoy it...flying is supposed to be fun :)

bcfc
10th Jul 2001, 23:46
Tks all. Booked in next week and my only concern is the PFL. I beleive its the one exercise the examiner hasn't got the leeway to let you try again...and it the one I invariably cock up!

Heyho.

BEagle
11th Jul 2001, 01:18
In my experience the PFL is probably THE weakest area of the PPL Skill Test demonstrated by most applicants; please don't waste your money by attempting the PPL Skill Test before you're ready for it.

Other weak areas - poor flying accuracy and over reliance on map reading during the navigation section, exaggerated stall recoveries, poor recoveries from spiral descents, poor use of R/T.......

There should be nothing in the PPL Skill Test (there is NO SUCH THING as a GFT, by the way!!) which you won't have done before. But DON'T rush into attempting the test until you're ready for it!!

18greens
12th Jul 2001, 16:02
Good luck with the test.

I seem to remember doing a PFL twice in my test because the examiner was not happy with my checks. I passed.

The biggest problem I had was the weather, 7 cancellations.

Don't worry about the test, if you mess something up they often let you do it again. Every examiner I've met, including the CAA ones, want you to pass.

Trinity 09L
12th Jul 2001, 16:53
The majority of my landings were on tarmac, but during the GFT, had to use the grass strip alongside, instructor only asked when downwind. Good luck, hope it is not too hot that day.

Tricky Woo
12th Jul 2001, 16:57
Is the NFT and GFT the same thingumibob now under JAR?

FNG
12th Jul 2001, 21:51
Tricky: yep: no separate nav test now. As part of the Skill Test you do a nav section, planning a route the examiner gives you before the test begins, flying part of it, then being told to fly a diversion to somewhere else (in my case the very smallest grass strip in the biggest area of green fields in all of Merrie Englande, which caused the examiner to chortle mightily as I flew in many circles).

I believe that the examiner does have discretion to offer a second try on the PFL. I had two goes at the PFL during my test: the first try was poor and the examiner rightly felt uncomfortable with it, and to cap it all my chosen field turned out to have cables in it (that was tough luck as neither I nor the examiner could see them until very late on: always a nightmare scenario for the real thing). The examiner gave me a second go, which turned out OK (apart from the examiner having a coggy on final and suggesting that I would be landing with a tail-wind when I was pointing pretty much into wind, the moral of which is: don't be afraid to speak up, as I told him he was wrong and he agreed that he was).

Went out and practised lots of PFLS since then, so that I actually received kind words for the one I did in my BFR (pity about the landings: as the bloke said "you should be certified fit to crash in a safe and lawful manner but scrubbed from normal flying").

[ 12 July 2001: Message edited by: FNG ]

KeithAlexander
13th Jul 2001, 05:15
I was supposed to do my flight test on wed 11th but the weather changed that idea, ive rebooked for thurs 19th. i don't know why im telling you this, i guess im just bored! :) ;) :rolleyes: :eek: :p