PDA

View Full Version : Break Out vs Traffic Alert PRM APPR

Capt Groper
3rd Jul 2010, 06:11
To AUS and USA controllers: is there a valid explanation why both differ in RT phraseology when commanding a BREAKOUT ALERT / TRAFFIC ALERT.

Other variations in wording exist, i.e. taxi instructions, entering a RWY and holding approach clearences. These I can understand as over the years regionally different interpretations of the English language have evolved.

But for commanding an EMERGENCY maneuver, I would have thought that ICAO, JAA and CAAs worldwide would have adopted the same RT phraseology?

Why not so ?

Gulfstreamaviator
3rd Jul 2010, 06:21
Considering the vast differences between, American English, and English English, I am not surprised at anything any more.

OZ English and English English is a totally different English.

Aviation / ICAO english is an abortion, and never quite close enough to reality.

Lets hope that I don't have to Break out, in a urry, cos my Dictionary is in my bag in the hold.

glf

adc123
3rd Jul 2010, 23:46
Don't know what it is in the states, but;

For a break out

"BREAK-OUT ALERT, (callsign), TURN LEFT (or RIGHT)
IMMEDIATELY HEADING (3 digits), CLIMB TO (altitude)"

For a deviation towards the NTZ

"RADAR INDICATES YOU ARE DEVIATING LEFT (or RIGHT) OF
THE LOCALISER COURSE"

Makes sense, no idea how the states do it though....

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Jul 2010, 06:57
Never heard this phraseology before. In the UK it's something like: "xxx avoiding action, turn left/right immediately heading XXX, traffic is.." Similar phraseology if a change in altitude is warranted.

I'm curious where the term "Break out" came from?

ollie_a
4th Jul 2010, 07:55
They're not talking about traffic avoidance, rather breaking out of a PRM approach.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Jul 2010, 09:33
OK Ollie, thanks. I don't even know what a PRM approach is.. Sorry I interrupted.

Blockla
4th Jul 2010, 13:43
And from the FAA AIM about PRMs:

The phraseology for the breakout will be:

“TRAFFIC ALERT”, (aircraft call sign) Turn (left/right) IMMEDIATELY, HEADING (degrees), CLIMB/DESCEND AND MAINTAIN (altitude).”

Tragically similar I'd have thought...

HD The Breakout is essentially the same as a missed approach for an aircraft established on an ILS, except it must be initiated and instructions followed immediately; they are used when there is very small spacing between parallel runways; on Sydney uses (used it) it in Oz.

ollie_a
4th Jul 2010, 13:59
Hi HD,

If you are interested this page (http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/projectsservices/projects/prm/pilotsguide.asp) gives more details on how PRMs work in practice.

Gulfstreamaviator
4th Jul 2010, 15:53
If as a pom, I transgressed and was sent to OZ, and was offered this type of approach, as I have no idea what it is thus I must refuse.

As a visitor is this offered often, cos I would never interupt the OZ party.

glf

Blockla
4th Jul 2010, 17:21
as I have no idea what it isThus you are not able to accept it by law; you must be specifically trained in PRMs to fly them. In a similar manner that you wouldn't fly an NDB or VOR approach without training.

Ivasrus
5th Jul 2010, 00:31
If as a pom, I transgressed and was sent to OZ, and was offered this type of approach, as I have no idea what it is thus I must refuse.

As a visitor is this offered often, cos I would never interupt the OZ party.
Only at Sydney in Oz, and only weekday mornings in conditions with ceiling below IAF. Non-PRM capable aircraft have to carry additional holding fuel, as they will be delayed to fit at a convenient point in the sequence.

The approach is ILS/PRM - check out the link posted above and deem yourself capable!