PDA

View Full Version : Stinson Station Wagon...what’s the story?

Horsepower
5th Jul 2001, 14:17
Good or bad? I’d be interested to hear of any experiences of flying/ownership of these things.

Thanks in advance.

HP

Speedbird48
6th Jul 2001, 17:12
They are good solid airplanes. First of all I am presuming that you are in the UK. In which case your choice of airplanes is limited as there are not too many to choose from.
There are several versions of Stinson 108 and only the 108-3 was made as The Station Wagon. There is a straight 108,a 108-1 & -2 and then the -3 which can be recognised by the much larger tail surfaces.
They are very strong airplanes and I saw one yesterday, that had an engine failure for reasons to be determined, that came down into thick trees and the two occupants got out with cuts and bruises. The cockpit area was intact with the rest pretty well destroyed. The fuselage is built much like a bridge!
The engines, normally a Franklin, have two versions, heavy case and light case and the light one gets cracks. They range up to 165hp. Franklins are now made in Poland.
The brakes as originally fitted were expanding bag type and expensive to get parts for these days. A lot have a Cleveland conversion.
A very honest flying airplane that owners tend to keep for a long time.