PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Oz and NZ

str12
5th Jul 2001, 12:29
I'm just starting a 6 month tour of Oz and would appreciate any up-to-date advice on flying in Oz/NZ.

Got my PPL(A) 5 days before leaving the UK and want to use it now that I'm 'Down under'.

Considering doing some more ratings (Night, Taildragger, Seaplane etc) and also wondering if its possible to do JAR PPL(H) in Oz or NZ.

Thanks in advance.

call the tower
5th Jul 2001, 12:55
Yes it's possible to do a JAR PPL in Aus BAe Systems in Parafield Adelaide do them. There are also a few others in YSBK, YMMB.

What exactly do you want to know about flying down under, besides the fact that you can't navigate following the M1 or M25! And there aren't NDBs/VOR's every 4nm.

Wx is good for the most part and you'll find it a tad cheaper than the UK.

Do you hold a JAR PPL or thinking of getting one here in OZ? Cause you'll need to convert to the oz licence to fly here after getting your JAR one!

Not sure what other info you want!

ratings such as NVFR/PIFR/Tailwheel/Aeros/Formation can all be done.

Kermit 180
5th Jul 2001, 14:55
Youll have to convert your licence to fly in NZ. As with Oz, but some HUGE terrain considerations. Most schools in NZ do the ratings you want. Suggest visiting Queenstown if you want to try seaplane flying. Youll find the flying in NZ very cheap compared to the UK. And Im sure, more enjoyable too!

Kermie

The Nr Fairy
7th Jul 2001, 09:01
I seem to recall, in 1998, I took my logbook, UK licence and medical to CASA at Bankstown, handed over $50, and got an Australian Special PPL(A).

Worth ringing the local CASA office ( if you're in Sydney Bankstown is about 45 mins - 1hr drive from the coast ) to see what the score is.

Once you've got your licence, you'd be planning some fam trips with an instructor anyway, wouldn't you ? Also worth thinking about a handheld GPS and a decent survival kit and book - if you have an accident somewhere remote, you'll need to know you can live long enough to be rescued.

Also, before I went, I got my medical renewed, and the guy I get mine done at is allowed to do Australian medicals as well - an extra tenner seemed worth it to me.

BTW, I didn't do any fixed wing flying - turned my hand to helicopters instead !!

[This message has been edited by The Nr Fairy (edited 07 July 2001).]

Radar
8th Jul 2001, 02:42
str12,
Spent some time in NZ March / April this year. Hadn't bothered to look into licencing before the trip since I'd heard (as Kermit says) a licence conversion would be necessary and I wasn't interested in that level of hassle. Eventually ended up doing an hour out of Queenstown with an instructor on board. I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable flights I have ever made. Landing at a farm strip followed by an hour spent flying variuos mountain valleys and passes culminating in a flight down the lake to return to Queenstown. According to this particular instructor all that is required for day VFR is a check fight with a Class I instructor. Mind you, in the vicinity of Queenstown this would probably amount to a mountain flying course to satisfy them. In any case, it's a lot cheaper than the UK (particularly with the current strength of sterling) and an absolutely stunning place to fly. Enjoy !!! I envy you already !

str12
9th Jul 2001, 10:03
Radar/Guys (and Gals?)

Thanks for the info. Yes, I got a JAR PPL just before leaving the UK 6 weeks ago.

The friendly lot at Gatwick wouldn't rush it through so I left the UK without ever seeing it (I'll get it forwarded).

My questions were roughly how much and would I be able to fly in Oz/NZ with a JAR PPL. I'll make some enquiries and let you know for future reference.

Cheers and Thanks again. :cool:

Girt_bar
9th Jul 2001, 11:23
I can't stress this enough. Before mountain flying in NZ make sure you go up with an instructor first. The flying down here is nothing like the UK. Enjoy it. :)